Student Question: How to land 5 sets of 500 MCM parallel feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am studying for the master electrician test. In one of the practice questions, I arrived at 5 sets of 500 kcmil conductors required for a service.
My question is, Do they make meter enclosures, disconnects, and/or panelboards with 5 (or more) lugs to land each phase? What do they look like? I've never seen such thing. I'd imagine it would have to be custom made.
I'll appreciate any help.
Thanks

Sorry about the title

Sorry about the title

I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote 500 MCM in the thread title. It should have been 500 kcmil. I don't know how to change that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote 500 MCM in the thread title. It should have been 500 kcmil. I don't know how to change that.
fits right in with us old-timers ;)
(note the link I added to my earlier post)

iwire

Staff member
Yes they make them.

Once you start getting into bigger breakers and equipment you really need to have the cut sheets for them in hand before sizing the conductors so that you will not come up with something that cannot be landed cleanly.

When you order larger breakers and equipment there are usually options as to the size and quantities of terminals.

An 800 amp breaker might be set up to take two sets of 750 kcmil AL or you might have it set up for four sets of 2/0.

Status
Not open for further replies.