Possibly in the 2008 code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 2005 code you must have no more than 12' between receptacle outlets in dwelling units and no more than 6' between receptacle outlets in kitchens. Every electrician knows this, it is one of the first codes we learn as apprentices. So can someone tell me why it is not code to have at least a single receptacle outlet for a sump pump. It seems a bit strange unless it has already been updated in the new 2008 code.

celtic

Aarongriffin00 said:
In the 2005 code you must have ... no more than 6' between receptacle outlets in kitchens. Every electrician knows this, it is one of the first codes we learn as apprentices.

:-?
I don't know what part of the kitchen you are talking about, but 210.52(C) seems to say 4' ....(in regards to counters, islands and penisulas)

jerm

georgestolz said:
I'd say that 210.50(C) covers this problem

what if the pump wasn't cord-n-plug connected?

Aarongriffin- are you looking for something akin to 210.63, only for sump pump locations? I've never seen that kind of req.

Jeremy
Tulsa, Ok

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
jerm said:
what if the pump wasn't cord-n-plug connected?
Actually, come to think of it, I should mention that somebody around here (I forget who, now) has pointed out that 210.50(C) doesn't come right out and say we have to install a receptacle for appliances - just that if we do provide a receptacle, it should be 6' from the intended location of the appliance. It even mentions a breed of appliance that is arguably not fixed in place - laundry equipment.

So, in the end, the free marketplace falls into place on this one, I guess. If the customer buys a sump, and we fail to supply it, will that stand? ;)

I guess what I am getting at is that in an unfinished basement you are only required to have one GFCI receptacle and which is usually located somewhat close to the service. so in order to plug in a sump pump which is located (usually) nowhere near the service you would need an extension cord. Is that correct?

celtic

Aarongriffin00 said:
I guess what I am getting at is that in an unfinished basement you are only required to have one GFCI receptacle and which is usually located somewhat close to the service. so in order to plug in a sump pump which is located (usually) nowhere near the service you would need an extension cord. Is that correct?
No, that is incorrect...cords cannot be used "As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure " (400.8).

What a person would need is another recept. for that pump.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
celtic said:
No, that is incorrect...cords cannot be used "As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure " (400.8).

What a person would need is another recept. for that pump.
Careful, there. Where does it state that a sump pump needs a receptacle installed?

Just because it's permanently installed, we as electricians look at it as needing permanent power. Where is that in the NEC?

If it was an empty pit intended for a temp pump if the need arose, would you still consider a receptacle required?

P.S., T: Five down at this point. :D

iwire

Staff member
Aarongriffin00 said:

Why should the NEC require an outlet for a sump pump across the entire nation when in many areas they have no idea what a sump pump is?

Many tens of thousands of basements stay dry without the need for a sump pump.

If you need a sump pump you need to install an outlet for it.

resistance

I gather Aaron is just trying to get information for his/her project!:rolleyes: Atleast this is what it reads like! :grin:

iwire

Staff member
georgestolz said:
That's just it: reference? :)

Your reading to much into it. :D

If the homeowner needs to install a sump pump they need to install a power supply for it.

Most sump pumps will not work without a power supply. ;)

Now if that ends up being an extension cord so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.