I hate to do this but Ford vs Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question in the great truck debate. I am personally a fan of vans (as opposed to trucks w/ utility bodies etc) and the time has come for a new one. I try not be blindly brand loyal but have always been a fan of GM products. Does anyone have any input on long term reliabilty/ cost of operating for these vehicles? It seems that there are far more Fords on the road than GM's in terms of service vehicles, however I am a fan of the concept that what's popular isn't always the best (eg Spice Girls reunion tour and Budwieser selling anything). I won't consider a Chrysler product after the experience I had with a Caravan (2 tranny rebuilds in 135K). I understand that it is a totally different division etc etc but I don't want to support a company that knowingly puts inferior components in there products to make a short term profit.

Thoughts?

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician

hockeyoligist2

The reason for more Fords is because they are cheaper. I've got a Chevy now, it's been trouble free 100,000 miles. They replace all trucks at 100,000 miles. The boss is getting me a Ford to replace it because the same "basic" truck is much cheaper. Most of the new Fords we have are giving problems already.

Edited, because my mouse died again!

Last edited:

SmithBuilt

I vote for sprinter.

Really I think today both brands are good. Both have occasional problems also. Go for a good warranty. Follow the owners manual on maintenance and they will last a long time.

macmikeman

I'm finding much less engine troubles with Chevy vans than Ford's, but way too much problems with cheap plastic door handles, and the side door hardware. It would be nice to be able to swap the doors off of a Ford van and stick em on Chevy or GM vans.

Rewire

I saw this in the back room of a grocery store "where you make your bread should be where you buy your bread". The local GM dealer hasn't even asked for a bid so why should I put any money in his coffer? All I ask is for a turn at bat,I may hit a homerun or I may strike out but give me my turn.

Magnus

Small world, Bryan. I am new to this forum but I have been a long time lurker. I also buy Fords. I am also the electricical contractor for the Model T plex in Detroit, Mi. It is the Piquette ave plant where Henry started building the Model T before he went to Higland Park. The building has been bought by private investors and is curently being made into a museum for the "T"'s. There are some really cool vehicles there right now. I was set up with this gig by the former head automotive curator of Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village who now currently resides in yep... Fort Meyers FLA.

StreamlineGT

I am a Ford man through and through. Owning four Fords at the present time, I would say that it all comes down to what you want out of it. The Fords of late are rather decent, with the exception of the 6.0L diesels, and the E4OD, 4R100 and Torque-shift transmissions. I worked for a company for 5 years, all Chevys, NEVER had ONE problem, EVER....

My vehicles on the other hand, my 2002 F-350 Superduty PSD will need a tranny soon (4R100), 2004 E-350 Superduty 5.4 gasser needs a tranny now (4R100), but the motors seem to be holding up good. Front end parts on the E-350 are holding up great, 110k miles on it and never needed anything, just brakes.

If I were to choose a vehicle from reliability alone, I would go chevy (biting my tongue typing this), but overall vehicle quality in terms of interior, styling, features, cargo space and stuff, I'd go Ford. My other vehicles are a 2004 F-150 SuperCrew, which I have had not one problem with, and a 2006 Mustang GT, which also I have had no problems with.

Take that however you want to, I think I am pretty objective, even though I am a Ford fan.

hockeyoligist2

Something I didn't mention, I'm a Chevy man, for more reasons than my work truck.... I drive an 89' Chevy Silverado, 350, 2WD, with over 250,000 miles. I replaced the starter brushes about 5 years ago. I replaced the universal joints a few weeks ago, just because I figured it was about time. They were still in great shape. Other than oil changes, battery, and tires, 2 battery's, 3rd set of tires. That is all that I have spent any money on.

I've got a good one! There are Lemons in every brand. But, I've had better luck with my Chevy's!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We use Chevy's at the moment. A 92 with about 250K 4wd utility box, 2 trannies, one differential & misc small items. Still runs & starts good. All in all a good truck for what we put it through. A 98 3/4T 4wd, utility box, 135K, low end model, has always been uncomfortable to drive, 3 fuel pumps, axle bearings, and misc other. Not particularly pleased with it. Door hinges on Chevys seem to wear out before they should.

Probably buy Chevy again.

ddubbs103

I have had an 03 2500 express no problems, then an 05 f250 no problems except gas guzzler, now 07 gmc 2500 had tranny relaced at 10000 they said something with the planetary gears having certain amount of play gm said replace with new one. Also have had a noise in the rear end, very noisy around 60 mph when just touching the gas, they said that is the load bearing berring if I spelled that right, very annoying though they said it is normal because van has no soundproofing. I think it is a bunch of bs, and cant wait for new one maybe kuv style.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I must say this is the most civil ford/chevy debate I've ever witnessed, it seems that everyone was trying to be impartial and didn't let emotion get in the way. Certainly there are going to be problems with any vehicle and there is always a clunker waiting to be had, but it seems that the GM products have the majority of support in this unscientific sampling.

Thanks again for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.