Multi GFI wet location woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

Anyone have a good idea about using 3 gfi-controlled outlets in an area the is pummeled by sprinklers? Seems like there is usually a plug in use, and the various types of covers I have tried seem to let in enough water to blow the system often.
What is the best cover by experience? Also, is there a more durable bell box that is not aluminum that turns to bauxite in 3 years?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
danickstr said:
Anyone have a good idea about using 3 gfi-controlled outlets in an area the is pummeled by sprinklers? Seems like there is usually a plug in use, and the various types of covers I have tried seem to let in enough water to blow the system often.
What is the best cover by experience? Also, is there a more durable bell box that is not aluminum that turns to bauxite in 3 years?

Just use an in use weatherproof cover and silicone around the perimeter.

WP1100C.jpg

mdshunk

In your situation, I think I'd use the Midwest box. That's about the only thing that's completely integrated that will exclude the water the way you need it to. They're right around 40 dollars.

http://www.midwestelectric.com/product/tppo.htm

tppo2.jpg

If a more durable bell box is what you want, use a PVC FSE box. That's what I typically use in harsh areas like barns.

fsebox.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.