2008 NEC Exam Prep, Wrong Answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsereni

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I seem to have found an incorrect answer to a question in Mike Holts Illustrated Guide to NEC Exam Preparation 2008

Unit 5, Table 5 question asks: What is the cross sectional area for one 1/0 XHHW Compact Conductor?

The Answer given as correct is [c] 0.2733 sq in?
Referring to Chpt 9, Table 5A (Compact Copper & Aluminum Wire Nominal Dimensions and Area) I find the answer to be 0.1352.

Answer [c] is the cross sectional area of one 4/0 XHHW Compact Conductor.

Can someone show me the error of my ways?

dsereni

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You are right. It seems I've been studying these charts so much I can not read anymore. Yes my answer was for a #1, but the fact remains that there is a misprint in the book as they are saying [c] .2733 is correct and I believe that is for a 4/0.

dsereni

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You are right. It seems I've been studying these charts so much I can not read anymore. Yes my answer was for a #1, but the fact remains that there is a misprint in the book as they are saying [c] .2733 is correct and I believe that is for a 4/0.
Is there another way to notify them concerning errors?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I seem to have found an incorrect answer to a question in Mike Holts Illustrated Guide to NEC Exam Preparation 2008

Unit 5, Table 5 question asks: What is the cross sectional area for one 1/0 XHHW Compact Conductor?

The Answer given as correct is [c] 0.2733 sq in?
Referring to Chpt 9, Table 5A (Compact Copper & Aluminum Wire Nominal Dimensions and Area) I find the answer to be 0.1352.

Answer [c] is the cross sectional area of one 4/0 XHHW Compact Conductor.

Can someone show me the error of my ways?

Go to mikeholt.com, then click on books, then corrections, then the code year of your study book. When you get to the corrections page look for the page # of the error and go from there. I found a couple of mistakes when I went through the 2005 book. Humans are involved and sometimes errors occur.:)

ASK_EDDIE

When you start finding mistakes in any material you are studing.... you are getting very close to where you need to be in your preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.