Code clearances for disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrguy333

I have installed a couple of 60A Non-fused disconnects on a residence for A/C equipment and have been red tagged for code clearance issues. He basically states that I have to have all of the same requirements as for a panel. I can't find the code section that deals with this and he doesn't cite it, but I alway's thought a non-fused disconnect could go just about anywhere, because it had no user servicable parts and was really nothing more than a big switch. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
pwrguy333 said:
I have installed a couple of 60A Non-fused disconnects on a residence for A/C equipment and have been red tagged for code clearance issues. He basically states that I have to have all of the same requirements as for a panel. I can't find the code section that deals with this and he doesn't cite it, but I alway's thought a non-fused disconnect could go just about anywhere, because it had no user servicable parts and was really nothing more than a big switch. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

He is probably using art. 110.26(A)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
pwrguy333 said:
OK...I think I get it. The old AHJ answer. Crap, I hope I never have to install one of those bad boy's in an attic again :) Thanks for your help!!

You do not need the same clearance as a panelboard. You couldn't possible get the headroom heights in crawl spaces and attics. What exactly is the situation.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
You do not need the same clearance as a panelboard. You couldn't possible get the headroom heights in crawl spaces and attics. What exactly is the situation.

Good question, I was under the impression the the AC unit was placed in front of the disconnect.

Jim W in Tampa

I have been taged for same and he cited 110.26.To make him happy we installed breaker locks.Solves nothing and never will get used but that was his suggestion.He is wrong if he refuses to cite the number but thats what he is after.

pwrguy333

No nothing like placed behind the AC unit. They are both off to the side, but they have only about 5 feet of vertical clearance, and he is asking for 6-6, with 36 inches in front. The 36 is no problem, but one of them is under a deck where there is no way to gain any more veritcal clearance?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
pwrguy333 said:
No nothing like placed behind the AC unit. They are both off to the side, but they have only about 5 feet of vertical clearance, and he is asking for 6-6, with 36 inches in front. The 36 is no problem, but one of them is under a deck where there is no way to gain any more veritcal clearance?

What is his suggestion. Suppose there is a unit in the crawl space with a 4' clearance-- how are you suppose to get head clearance? Does he expect you to put the heating system outside?

IMO he is barking up the wrong tree. I would call the state inspector and get his ruling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
pwrguy333 said:
That is exactly my point...there actually is an electric furnace in this same house with that exact issue?

IMO, this guy is nuts. Call his superiors and ask what they would suggest for the situation.

pwrguy333

what cha gonna do

what cha gonna do

Well, I talked to the number 2 guy at the building department, and apparently he staightened me out. They interpret a 60A pullout as "equipment" as defined in the code, and his response to what we are supposed to do in crawl spaces with less than 6-6 is take it up with the builder or the designer???

I'm not going to do anything with this, because to argue is going to cost me a lot more money down the road, it just get's frustrating dealing this kind of attitude. I would be curious to know how many of the inspectors out there interpret this code the way he does?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Outrageous-- let the builder and heating guys work it out. Surely there must be houses in that area wired with discos in the crawl. :-?

I would still find out the states stand on it.

Jim W in Tampa

pwrguy333 said:
Well, I talked to the number 2 guy at the building department, and apparently he staightened me out. They interpret a 60A pullout as "equipment" as defined in the code, and his response to what we are supposed to do in crawl spaces with less than 6-6 is take it up with the builder or the designer???

I'm not going to do anything with this, because to argue is going to cost me a lot more money down the road, it just get's frustrating dealing this kind of attitude. I would be curious to know how many of the inspectors out there interpret this code the way he does?

Where did they pull this 60 amp idea from ?Could your unit run off a 30 amp 2 pole switch ?They are about 10 bucks plus cover and deep bell box.Your dealing with an ID 10 T problem ,good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.