Sub-fed panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Near here, on Puget Sound we have many sub panels at the Bangor Submarine Base.
Sub panels is a slang term, I prefer feeder panel.
Or maybe surface panel, as I was on a cruiser. We were called targets by the sub-panel types.

inspector 102

I think the term would be load side equipment as referenced in 250.142(B). Sub-panels is a common term around here that means there is a separate panel located after the main service panel. Is there a more specific question to this post?

sguinn

Does anyone think that it would be a bad idea for the NEC to add to the definitions "Sub-panel"? We all know what they are and have all probably used them. Sometimes I just don'getit.

wbalsam1

I've always liked the term remote panelboard. Sometimes the remote panelboard is mounted adjacent to the main panelboard, but I still like the term remote. :smile:

iwire

Staff member
sguinn said:
Does anyone think that it would be a bad idea for the NEC to add to the definitions "Sub-panel"?

No not a bad idea but is it actually necessary?

There is nothing special about a sub panel to the NEC.

A sub panel is no different to the NEC then any load side equipment.

jeff48356

The thing you need to remember is that with a subpanel, the neutral and ground bus bars need to be separate, and must be fed with 4-conductor cable (red, black, white, and ground). Panels come with a long green screw that is used to bond the neutral to ground. If the panel is used as a sub-panel, do not install the screw. On main panels, the neutral and ground must be bonded together.

JohnJ0906

sguinn said:
Does anyone think that it would be a bad idea for the NEC to add to the definitions "Sub-panel"? We all know what they are and have all probably used them. Sometimes I just don'getit.

Maybe define "Service Entrance Panel" or something similar. All panels are treated the same unless they are the main service disconnect, or SDS main.

Status
Not open for further replies.