Sound Familiar? (Pricing information)

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

Excellant reading!

Thanks.

What were the names of some of other favorites?
Ellen Von Rohr or something?

emahler

celtic said:
Excellant reading!

Thanks.

What were the names of some of other favorites?
Ellen Von Rohr or something?

Ellen Rohr is awesome...Maurice Maio knows his stuff too...the best was Frank Blau before he retired...Paul Ridilla writes some good articles geared towards the larger construction oriented contractors...

peter d

emahler said:
Ellen Rohr is awesome...Maurice Maio knows his stuff too...the best was Frank Blau before he retired...

Don't mention flat rate people around here. Then electricians might actually start making money.

celtic

emahler said:
Ellen Rohr is awesome...Maurice Maio knows his stuff too...the best was Frank Blau before he retired...Paul Ridilla writes some good articles geared towards the larger construction oriented contractors...

Thanks.

These people all have books published or just articles in various publications?

emahler

peter d said:
Don't mention flat rate people around here. Then electricians might actually start making money.

well considering this is a clean board...are you talking about P****t?

judging by the number of views, and lack of comments, this article hit home with a bunch of folks...

Last edited:

emahler

celtic said:
Thanks.

These people all have books published or just articles in various publications?

forgot Al Levi...yes and yes...most of them write an article every month in P&M..but they also have books and such available...

this is starting to feel like a Billy Mays Hays infomercial:D

celtic

emahler said:
judging by the number of views, and lack of comments, this article hit home with a bunch of folks...

The money posts always get lots of views but little chatter.
I wonder why?
Obviously people are interested in the topic....but has the question been answered so expertly in such few postings that further commentary is not necessary?

I get P&M.

I'll tell the Mrs. about the stocking stuffers :smile:
Thanks again.

celtic

If we asked:
How do you keep the bills in your pocket: Faces out or faces in?

We'd probably get more replies :D

hardworkingstiff

Question

Question

How many are willing to let a job go instead of taking a 2%-3% reduction in price? In other words, if a customer said "You are the 1st price I've received, and you are 3% above my budget. If you are willing to cut your price by 3% I'll sign your contract now and not get another quote", what would you do?

hardworkingstiff

One more thing

One more thing

I would like to share what a friend of mine said. "I like Lou's motto, 'I work for money'".

The reason he says this, he has worked for many years to build his business (dock building) making very little money. He grosses 6-8 times what I do a year, but I net more. He is building equity in his plant and name, I'm building equity in my stock portfolio (I work out of my home). He will sell his business for millions one day, I'll just close up shop.

He has a plan, I have a plan. They both work.

The question is, DO YOU HAVE A PLAN?

cschmid

yeppers got a plan and it works..get up real early work real hard at end of day real tired and when it is all over go to heaven be with jesus..I keep my Benjamin Franklin's face in..My bass boat is in the garage and my ice fishing shack in the truck backed into the garage..my other truck is loaded with tools and I am going out to start it in few minutes so it can warm up and I can get cooled off..I need to pay for garage and bass boat..so bass fishing has to wait work is life and life is work even if you play hard it is work..So enjoy your day and make some memories and if your lucky you can have some cash when you are done..

satcom

hardworkingstiff said:
How many are willing to let a job go instead of taking a 2%-3% reduction in price? In other words, if a customer said "You are the 1st price I've received, and you are 3% above my budget. If you are willing to cut your price by 3% I'll sign your contract now and not get another quote", what would you do?

I would say thank you considering us, and walk

Once you lower a quote, the thinking is set in the customers mind, that you had plenty of blote in your price.

3% can be a all the profit some jobs produce.

emahler

exactly....we can alter the scope of work to get the price down....but once you rop your pants, you will have a hard time picking them back up....

hardworkingstiff

satcom said:
I would say thank you considering us, and walk

Once you lower a quote, the thinking is set in the customers mind, that you had plenty of blote in your price.

3% can be a all the profit some jobs produce.

That's some pretty tight margins, or a lot of overhead (IMO, of course). :)

electricguy

3 percent over budget, how about If the contractor gives the customer the discount and say well i can do this but we will have to install standard devices and not decora If you give something , the customer has to give something up.

Last edited:

growler

hardworkingstiff said:
That's some pretty tight margins, or a lot of overhead (IMO, of course). :)

I agree. On a 10K job 3% is only $300 and it may cost more than that to look at and estimate the next two or three jobs to win the bid. On a larger job of say 100K there should be a little wiggle room built into the job from the start. If you are talking about really big 1M or better then everthing is negotiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.