Misinterpetation?? Electrical department

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked to a person' (not sure if they are an electrician) but it kinda disappointed me of the info they were giving out.

I asked when is the 2008 code gonna be reviewed or adopted by the CITY. And do they know of a manufacturer that has started to make the tamper resistant gfci receptacle. Seeing how all 125v 15 and 20 amp receptacles have to be tamper resistant in dwelling units.

He gives me the date on the REVIEW of the code .
He says "well they all do not all have to AFCI protected, thats only in lighting outlets in the dwelling unit and its ONLY an addictional $40.00."
I say WHAT???!! You misunderstood my question, I asked about Gfci NOT Afci. Article 406.11 Tamper-Resistant says in ALL AREAS specified in 210.52..... SHALL be listed tamper resistant

He says "that deals with spacing requirements the bathrooms are suppose to be gfci, and article 406.11 has a LETTER by it and it would be REDUNDANT to have them GFCI and TAMPER RESISTANT."

I say NO, there is NO letter by 406.11, i have the 2008 code in front of me heres what it says.

He says 'well oh, it just says article 210.52?? ' I say yes.
Well 210.52 just deals with spacing says nothing about gfci. I say well it deals with spacing but it lets you know where to put/install a receptacle, INCLUDING the BATHROOMS which must be tamper resistant AND GFCI protected.

He says that 210.52 does not deal with gfci, the other article does. 'I LOL
This is where i get TIRED. I say well maybe I MISinterpet and its a little confusing, so i have to go, and thanks for your time.

He says 'sure anytime , it is confusing maybe a proposal can be submitted by electricians to change/clarify it.'

I shake my head in disappointment, not that im all for the 'tamper resistant' receptacles (I hate it!), but the people at the 'DEPARTMENT' should be able to read the code and see what it says, NOT what they THINK it says and give out good information or JUST say i do not KNOW let me check.

Clearly with this new wording in the 2008 code the BATHROOMS would have to have special made GFCI and TAMPER RESISTANT RECEPTACLES OR you would have to In stall a gfci BREAKER and install an ordinary tamper resistant receptacle.

Oh well just another day in the life. ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The same issue will be for outdoor receptacles that will have to be rated for weather resistant. That means any GFCI receptacles installed outdoor must also be rated weather resistant.

Jljohnson

Pass ans Seymour has the tamper resistant GFI's available. As far as the weather resistant rating goes for exterior receptacles, a stndard NEMA 5-15 design is considered weather resistant.

raider1

Staff member
As far as the weather resistant rating goes for exterior receptacles, a stndard NEMA 5-15 design is considered weather resistant.

Can you show me where you are getting your information in regards to your statement?

I am not aware that the standard NEMA 5-15 is a listed weather resistant type receptacle.

Chris

Jljohnson

raider1 said:
Can you show me where you are getting your information in regards to your statement?

I am not aware that the standard NEMA 5-15 is a listed weather resistant type receptacle.

Chris

The FPN to 406.8(A) lists the following types of receptacles as meeting the weather resistant requirement
5-15
5-20
6-15
6-20

480sparky

Jljohnson said:
The FPN to 406.8(A) lists the following types of receptacles as meeting the weather resistant requirement
5-15
5-20
6-15
6-20

Put the '05 down! That's only in the '08, folks.

JohnJ0906

Jljohnson said:
5-15
5-20
6-15
6-20

Jim, reread the FPN. Those types are covered by the requirement, not meeting the requirement.

Jljohnson

JohnJ0906 said:
Jim, reread the FPN. Those types are covered by the requirement, not meeting the requirement.

As I re-read the FPN, I believe you are correct John. That brings me to another question? What IS a "weather resistant" receptacle? Weather resistant is not defined in the definitions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jljohnson said:
As I re-read the FPN, I believe you are correct John. That brings me to another question? What IS a "weather resistant" receptacle? Weather resistant is not defined in the definitions.

I am not exactly sure what weather resistance is other than a receptacle that will resist rusting in damp areas.

raider1

Staff member
JohnJ0906 said:

I agree, the fpn just tells us what receptacles must meet the weather resistant requirement.

I have not seen a listed weather resistant type receptacle anywhere.

The 2006 UL white book doesn't have anything dealing with "weather resistant type" receptacles under their section titled "Receptacles for Plugs and Attachment Plugs (RTRT). This section does talk about "tamper resistant" receptacles, just not "weather resistant".

Chris

raider1

Staff member
I checked the P&S website and didn't see anything on weather resistant receptacles, but they might not have them on the website yet.

I did see a press release from Leviton dealing with tamper resistant receptacles and it included a one sentence section dealing with weather resistant receptacles, but it didn't really say much about them.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.