Donnie's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEYDOG

Donnies Story

Donnies Story

Did anyone download the video of donnies story that would be willing to send it to me.

Thanks

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Thanks Roger for the link, and to remind us how dangerous our job can be in an instant. Even decked out in all the PPE there is still 25,000 pounds of force available out of a simple 200 Amp can under the right conditions.

Energy-Miser

Rockyd said:
Thanks Roger for the link, and to remind us how dangerous our job can be in an instant. Even decked out in all the PPE there is still 25,000 pounds of force available out of a simple 200 Amp can under the right conditions.
Thanks for posting the link to the video. I did a little digging around the linked page and clicked on one of the links posted there (from international association of electrical inspectors) that has a good article on arc flash. Here is that link, you might find it useful as well. e/m
http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magazine/03_c/magazine_03c_lottman.htm
Also, Isolating the Risk of Catastrophic Arc Flash Explosions in the article below:
http://www.newequipment.com/media/Company/HoffmanIsolatin_00000000198.pdf

Last edited:

TOOL_5150

electricalperson said:
a lot of apprentices should watch this video just to show them what electricity can do

I think every apprentice should watch a video such as this one. I work with a few people that dont 'respect' electricity, and are one accident away from death. The idea of our jobs, like all others is to be able to home at the end of the day.

~Matt

480sparky

This video should also be required viewing.

Although it shows a bunch of misfits doing something totally wrong, it clearly show how dangerous even a standard 120v receptacle can be.

Watch closely during the slow-mo, and you can see the hot, molten metal spray away from the arc, and by the time it is 4-5 feet away, the dumb kid hasn't even had time to notice, react and move away!

This reminds me of a video my fourth-year teacher showed us during class. It had an (former) electrician blinded by a screwdriver falling onto the lugs in some switchgear. He stated his last vision of this world was the screwdriver falling, he clearly saw the arc form, the metal melt, and blow right into his eyes. He made it very clear that not only does he vividly remember this image, but that he watched the whole event unfold because he didn't have time to close his eyes.

Last edited:

Energy-Miser

480sparky said:
This video should also be required viewing.

Although it shows a bunch of misfits doing something totally wrong, it clearly show how dangerous even a standard 120v receptacle can be.

Watch closely during the slow-mo, and you can see the hot, molten metal spray away from the arc, and by the time it is 4-5 feet away, the dumb kid hasn't even had time to notice, react and move away!

This reminds me of a video my fourth-year teacher showed us during class. It had an (former) electrician blinded by a screwdriver falling onto the lugs in some switchgear. He stated his last vision of this world was the screwdriver falling, he clearly saw the arc form, the metal melt, and blow right into his eyes. He made it very clear that not only does he vividly remember this image, but that he watched the whole event unfold because he didn't have time to close his eyes.
Does anyone know if UTube videos can be downloaded? I think some of these make excellent supplementary material for safety training, barring any copyright issues. e/m

EBFD6

lets all be on the same page!

lets all be on the same page!

Besides being a full time electrician I am also a part time Firefighter in my town. One of the big differences between my two jobs has got to be saftey training and the way saftey is viewed by everyone on the job. With the fire department EVERYTHING is saftey first, all else second. No matter how big the fire, how fast it is burning, how many victims inside - scene saftey and the saftey of the firefighters working on the fire ground is top priority. Obviosly there are inherent dangers to firefighting but saftey is promoted through proper training and everyone taking it seriosly. Every firefighter in my area is trained by the same academy classes, watches the same videos, and hears the same stories, thus putting everyone on the same page safety wise. I wish this were true in my job as an electrician. All too often guys on the job think safety is just a joke, it is not taken seriosly and it will only be a matter of time untill someone is hurt or killed. Everyone should see videos such as this to re-enforce the dangers that we face everyday on the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.