Thread: mounting heights

mounting heights

Im not sure which area i should post this question in but if im in the wrong spot, i apologize.

does anyone know what the standard mounting heights of light switches should be (min-max)???

i have looked in the IBC and the ADA but im not coming across anything?

what about Exit signs/strobes/horn strobe devices??? mounting heights?

thank you in advance for the time!!

Quote Originally Posted by reds_21
    does anyone know what the standard mounting heights of light switches should be (min-max)???
    There is no minimum or standard specified by the NEC. I usually set my switches at 43 to the bottom of the box but the older method (around here, anyway) was 49" to the bottom.

I am unaware of any requirements on exit signs. That is probably covered in the building code.

Hieghts

Im not sure which area i should post this question in but if im in the wrong spot, i apologize.

The "Peoples Republic of Massachusetts" adopted its 521 CMR 6.5, forward reach, 521 CMR 6.6, side reach.

Recpt's on walls 15" to 48" above the floor, measured at the centerline of the lowest recpt.

Sw's: 18" from an interior corner (location)

48" forward reach to allow approach to an object (highest), 15" the minimium low forward reach.

If the clear floor space allows parallel approach by the person in a wheelchair max side reach 54" and the low side reach shall be no more the 9".

Hope this may help its from our states Architectual Access Board 521 CMR

thank you for the help lowryder88h and Dennis Alwon!!!

reds_21

sw is usually 4' center and horns/strobes i seen at 80" center to 1' below ceiling height (9'-10')

If you put your switches at 48" AFF to the center and receptacles 18" AFF top the center then you will be OK with ADA guidelines.

The California ADA calls for no higher than 48" to the center of the operating handle. I always put mine at 42" because if you walk into a room and stick your finger out like you're going to turn on the light that's right about where it is.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

There is no NEC requirement for switch height. It's a topic that has been discussed many times. 48" AFF is a popular answer, sometimes to the center, sometimes to the bottom of the box. But there are almost as many answers as there are replies.

The exit signs, lights, etc are governed by building and life safety codes, often with state or local amendments. Some locations now require satellite lights near floor level for crawling to an exit below the smoke.

You need to talk to your local AHJ and/or Fire Marshal to get appropriate information for your locale.
    You may be whatever you resolve to be - Gen. T. J. Jackson
    (Warning: I'm just an electrical engineer, not an electrician. No DIY advice is solicited.)