Greenlee Hand Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

BryanMD said:
TTI also has a multiyear alliance with Craftsman to manufacture hand-held cordless and corded power tools sold through Sears and Kmart.

That would explain why the Craftsman stuff looks just like Ryobi.

cschmid

electricalperson said:
just dont buy greenlee tape measures..they tend not to go back in on there own

I actually like mine and own 2 of them..tape measures are a funny item kind of like a sock in the laundry..never find them when you want them..

220/221

Greenlee 660 holesaw kit.

Interchangable carbide tips........ BEST TOOL EVER.

7533.jpg

big john

e57 said:
Knipex (Cutters and pump pliers) and WiHa (Screw-drivers) - far superior to all mentioned above IMO.
At this point, I'm the last person who'll defend Klein (with their even increasing prices and ever decreasing quality), but I'm not a big fan of Knipex. I own a couple of their insulated tools, and they work well enough for occasional use, but I wouldn't like to try to use their lineman's pliers every day. The Wiha defintely seem more ergonomic, but they make them too small, I think. What's the point of having it be ergonomically shaped if it's too small to fit the contoures of my hand?

A few guys are getting Greenlee screwdrivers now. I really don't see any difference between those and Klein. The one big black mark against them is their made in Taiwan. You give me two mediocre screwdrivers, one foreign, one American, I'll stick with the local brand...for now. I'm still searching for something better than breaks-a-lot Klein.

-John

peter d

I stopped buying Klein screwdrivers. I just get the Husky ones at HD now. Much easier and they cost the same, and have the same return policy as Craftsman.

The only Klein stuff that I still like are the pliers, dykes, and Romex strippers. Everything else they make is no different than Stanley or Channelock.

mdshunk

76nemo said:
Here's another manufacturer to check out. I heard some pretty good comments on them. Anyone else back them up?

Cementex.

http://www.specialized.net/ecommerce/shop/series.asp?category_id=21
My hot work tools are mostly Cementex. If they make other stuff, I don't really know about it. They seemed like the best value for the money when I was buying hot work tools. Most of the utility's seem to use Cementex.

76nemo

mdshunk said:
My hot work tools are mostly Cementex. If they make other stuff, I don't really know about it. They seemed like the best value for the money when I was buying hot work tools. Most of the utility's seem to use Cementex.

Thanks Mark. Matter of fact, the fella who gave me his opinion on Cementex said the same thing. "Most everyone here in our utilities field carries Cementex."
That means alot hearing it again. Thanks Mark:smile:

76nemo

Maybe if I took the time to read slower, I would of seen it was Marc with a "c", not "k". Sorry Marc.

"You BIG DUMMY", ~Fred Sanford:smile:

iaov

Poolside said:
I know the feeling. I owned three of the 18v Milwaukee Hammer/Drills. Almost to the the day each went out at 6 months. I had them rebuilt- lasted another 6 months. By then, the batteries were junk, too. I figured with the cost of the batteries, I was better off buying the cheaper Ryobi drills. They're inexpensive, but you get a lot of bang for the buck. I'm done with Milwaukee cordless anything. At least the Hole Hawg is still made well.

Greg
I've have an older model Milwaukee corded angle drill that is pretty indistructable. My father in law is a retired Milwaukee Tool engineer and he cringes when he sees all the Makita stuff in my truck.I realy like Kein screw drivers. I have some Chinese made (I don't remember the brand name) tools that I bought at HD that seem to work fine.

Last edited:

GilbeSpark

I used to buy dewalt 18v. Had an 18v sawzall which I never had any problems from. One drill, which I got for a good deal, somehow got stuck in the on position while drilling with a 1'' bit. The bit snagged and the drill wouldn't go off. The smell of burnt motor filled the upstairs and my battery quickly fried. Next 18v drill was an XRP 3 speed hammer drill. Very nice. A couple of teeth broke on the gears and it wouldn't work correctly. Took it in for repair and $75 later it was working almost like new. 3 or 4 months later the gear stripped again and friggin thing also didn't like to switch between hammer and regular. That's when I stopped buying dewalt. IMO, overpriced and not worth it.

I get the Ryobi stuff now. It's cheap and gets the job done. If it breaks, $39 will get me a brand new one. I've had an 18v ryobi drill now for 2 years and never had a problem with it. My only complaint is that the batteries don't last very long. But hey, $39 will get you 2 more to have on hand, ready to go. 1 dewalt battery will cost you twice that. Plus, ryobi has a huge selection of different 18v cordless tools to mess around with.

electricalperson

ive owned a few cordless drills. an 18v dewalt that i gave to a helper when i bought the milwalkee 18v kit and the dewalt 36v kit. the milwaukee 18v kit was horrible i thought. the flashlight broke, and the drill literally melted. i have zero complaints about the dewalt 36 volt line of tools. i think dewalt is one of the best tool companies out there. but i stil love my hole hawg

jbower

boboelectric said:
My thinking also.Threw the Channelock Diaganol cutters away.No competition with Kleins.

I used Greenlee diaganols for about 15 min. went back to my Kliens.

Status
Not open for further replies.