romex in commercial application

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I can't speak for Florida specifically, but Romex has always been allowed in commercial buildings.

The restrictions are based on building type and construction, as found in Article 334.

e57

peter d said:
~ but Romex has always been allowed in commercial buildings.

Really depends on where you are - this site is viewed nationaly - even internationaly. NM is not allowed where I am in commercial - nor is where I am the only place in which it is not.

If rule #1 is not to check local codes - it should at least be in the top 5.

Not too long ago I watched a guy make this mistake - and warned him. Only to watch his work get torn out and started over by someone else.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Never really thought about it. I don't like it much.(working with NM). I know of no local amendments prohibiting it. I'll ask around as this seems to come up more often.

jrannis

chris kennedy said:
Never really thought about it. I don't like it much.(working with NM). I know of no local amendments prohibiting it. I'll ask around as this seems to come up more often.

The South Florida Building Code would not allow romex in commercial buildings, but now we have the Florida Building Code which refers to the NEC.

I have seen romex in strip stores and free standing commercial buildings in the middle and upper parts of Florida many timesover the years.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not true, I have done jobs in Nokomis and Highlands County that had specs for the exterior underground to be below the frostline, but like most in Central and South FL, the design engineers were probably from somewhere else.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
roger said:
Not true, I have done jobs in Nokomis and Highlands County that had specs for the exterior underground to be below the frostline,

So how deep did you go, rested the raceway right on the surface? :grin:

e57

N & S Carolina on the handful of military bases I got stuck on - all wiring and plumbing was run on trapezes like an elevated freeway for all utilities for the whole base... Due to frost and heave.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
e57 said:
N & S Carolina on the handful of military bases I got stuck on - all wiring and plumbing was run on trapezes like an elevated freeway for all utilities for the whole base... Due to frost and heave.

Mark, that is common in the Carolinas, but I was responding to Jrannis about Fl. :)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.