post light install

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd4524

I'm working on a residential landscape lighting project. The customer wants a post light with a flood light type fixture. This will be controlled by a motion sensor near the front gate. The light is 100% for security only. I would still like to use a standard 3" pole about 9-10 feet tall. I can only find decorative fixtures to go on top of the poles I want to use.
Most security lights on poles that I'm finding are square and commercial looking. I'm thinking that some type of slip fitting with a 1/2 threaded hole would be perfect but cant seam to find anything.
Any suggestions?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the posts are 3" poles so you could find a pvc coupling with female threads on on side. Take a reducing bushing down to 1/2" and set the floodlight wp round box on top. It will never look good.

I would either stick a 4x4 PT post in the ground or wire the flood light up a tree.

sd4524

That reducing bushing idea sounds ugly... even buried under the ground! Mounting the light to the tree was the customers idea but I had it in my head that that is a code violation. You have made me re-think because I'm pretty sure you can mount a receptacle to a tree... why not a light. Gonna check my codebook.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You could also go with a smaller pole, since your only going up 9-10'. They make slip fitters with a 1/2" threaded hole, they fit a 1 1/2 pipe I think, seen them at the big box stores.

bullheimer

if the lite can go on a pole, what about the wiring TO the light?

as for poles and lites, i've seen lowes' lites that fit right on the end of a 2" pvc pipe, you can paint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.