Anyone use these ground rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I'm just curious, does anyone use or see a need for the Home Depot where I work to stock 10' X 5/8", 8' X 1/2" (Both in copper) or 8' X 5/8" galvanized ground rods? We have limited space and these aforementioned rods take up much needed room when all I believe we need is the 8' X 5/8" rods in copper. Let me know as I was given the okay by the store manager to give my opinion as to what should go and what I'd like to get into the store.

Mark

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
mark32 said:
I'm just curious, does anyone use or see a need for the Home Depot where I work to stock 10' X 5/8", 8' X 1/2" (Both in copper) or 8' X 5/8" galvanized ground rods? We have limited space and these aforementioned rods take up much needed room when all I believe we need is the 8' X 5/8" rods in copper. Let me know as I was given the okay by the store manager to give my opinion as to what should go and what I'd like to get into the store.

Mark

I have used a copper ground rod once in my life at the beach where they were required and that was a 10' rod. All the rods I use are 8' x 5/8" galvinized rods.

Krim

Ground Rods...Copperbonded Versus Galvanized

Ground Rods...Copperbonded Versus Galvanized

Dennis Alwon said:
I have used a copper ground rod once in my life at the beach where they were required and that was a 10' rod. All the rods I use are 8' x 5/8" galvinized rods.

The 8' x 5/8" and 10' x 5/8" galvanized are all my local suppliers stock .
The copperbonded are only available as special order items .
Carl :)

monkey

Here in the desert it sometimes takes half a day to drive a couple of 8 footers with a demolition hammer. I wouldn't dream of trying a 10 footer. Never even seen one.

Chris6245

I would say have Home Depot do a "sales history" on the mentioned ground rods and see if they have ever even sold any or have they been in inventory since they opened the store. That would tell them if they are even worth keeping.

Krim

charlie k. said:
Krim, Harford County Md. will only accept Copper weld ground rods.

Charlie

Charlie,
I'm glad I don't live there . What do they cost ?
I only pay $5 - $6 for the galvanized ( 5/8" x 8' ).
I've never even priced the copper GR's .
Krim

mdshunk

All I use are 8' x 5/8" galvanized rods. No compelling need for copper.

The 10' rods are nice for when the end must stick up, like when you drive them through asphalt or a concrete sidewalk. That way, you still have 8' in contact with the soil.

Krim

You know I read awhile back (possibly on this forum) that the ground rod is required to be driven below grade . I'd always been taught that you're supposed to leave approximately 6" above grade so that the EI could visibly see that one was installed . :confused:
What do you guys do ?

Carl

mark32

Thanks for the replies. I see the answer to my question greatly depends upon where one lives. dSilanskas, I'll have to get back to you about the price but I believe the 10 footers are $15 and change. Carl, after a service change my NJ friends drive their ground rods either flush or just below ground level and lightly pound a piece of emt or pvc next to them so the inspector can locate them. Chris, I was going to do just that (Check the sales history) but the numbers may not tell the whole story. The copper 8 footers sell so fast that while we're waiting for another shipment to arrive the contractors will purchase the others instead of running over to another supplier; getting the orderer to understand that maybe difficult because all they see is the quantity sold.

Also, with respect to stocking other items, what do you think about ground clamps for rebar as well as 4/0 AL and #2 AL? All we have is copper, I know my buddies would opt for the AL.

mdshunk

Krim said:
You know I read awhile back (possibly on this forum) that the ground rod is required to be driven below grade . I'd always been taught that you're supposed to leave approximately 6" above grade so that the EI could visibly see that one was installed . :confused:
What do you guys do ?
The code wants 8 feet in contact with the soil. If you are using 8 foot rods, then they need driven flush or better.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Most common is 5/8 Galv
With the conc encased electrode becoming more common, there is less demand for ground rods.
However, I use 8 ft copper clad for my sites as they are for radios and I bond to mast with 2 AWG, cad weld.

Krim

tom baker said:
Most common is 5/8 Galv
With the conc encased electrode becoming more common, there is less demand for ground rods.
However, I use 8 ft copper clad for my sites as they are for radios and I bond to mast with 2 AWG, cad weld.

Tom,
I'm almost too embarassed to mention it , but I've never used a cadweld.
I've seen them used but personally have never used one.
Carl (this is where I need an embarrassed smiley)

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
About using the sales history: given the amount of DIY work supplied by Home Depot, it is quite likely that the biggest seller will be the cheapest, suitable for your location or not. I'm sure that the HDs in the Chicago area sell lots of romex.

-Jon

winnie said:
About using the sales history: given the amount of DIY work supplied by Home Depot, it is quite likely that the biggest seller will be the cheapest, suitable for your location or not. I'm sure that the HDs in the Chicago area sell lots of romex.-Jon

Or the one closest to their eye/fingers when looking.
Never assume they buy/install X for a rational reason like code suitability. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.