Two mains or one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
Hello,
Need to "bounce one off the guys"
I have a 3ph delta service with an overloaded (by calc) 225 Amp panel. I want to up grade by going to a 400 Amp 3ph meter & feeders, then feeding two panels directly from meter with 2 sets of feeders. # 1 is the original 3ph. # 2 will be a new 150 Amp 1ph to serve 120V loads moved from #1. (Most loads are 1ph, only a/c 3ph.) Both panels will be inside the structure and side by side. I do not want to reinvent the wheel, just remove 120V load from a delta panel.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
I should of finished with the question "are there any issues seen with my logiq of feeding the two panels, each directly from the meter, one 3ph and one 1ph with grouped main breakers inside a commercial building?"

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
apparently a 3 ph 4 w delta :grin: I see no problem with the plan.
(I would make sure to run it by POCO to make sure they meter 400 amp 3p/4w with a self contained meter)

DaveBowden

I don't know if it applies to commercial installations or not, but keep in mind some beach building departments and Clearwater won't issue permits for overhead service upgrades anymore. You have to change to underground services.
And don't forget to include the cost of 2 hole lugs when you're figuring your costs. I bought some for the load side of a meter can last month and they were $ 60 for the 3 lugs.

bullheimer

always best to bug the AHJ for info. do it alot. maybe too much.

also make sure you are not feeding any outside buildings from an indoor disconnect. or at least ask the AHJ about it, if that's even what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.