Screw in Outlets Without a Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krim

I would like to know,since this is the holiday season, where if at all, there is mention about those little 2 slot ( hot & neutral ) screw in outlets, that so many people use in outside bulb sockets in order to power thier decorative lights and other miscellaneous decorations, are OK to use considering there is no ground provided. These are one item that I firmly believe should be taken off of the market due to safety issues !
I also don't like the fact that so many crawlspaces and attic spaces simply have a bulb protruding from an albeit approved base, sticking out with no protective cover against breakage . If a flourescent luminaire has the tubes exposed I always thought you are required to place them in those clear plastic tubes due to safety issues if broken .
I've often either bumped into one or accidentaly hit one with misc tools etc while crawling around under a house or working my way through an attic area. Of course I have been known to be a klutz or accident prone .
Does anyone else have a problem with these issues ?
Thanks,
Carl :)

peter d

The screw-in outlets are definitely bogus, and are actually a code violation to use (410.47), but good luck trying to enforce that rule with homeowners.

I don't have a problem with unprotected lamps in attics, crawlspaces, basements, etc. You have to draw the line somewhere.

480sparky

Carl Ewing said:
I would like to know,since this is the holiday season, where if at all, there is mention about those little 2 slot ( hot & neutral ) screw in outlets, that so many people use in outside bulb sockets in order to power thier decorative lights and other miscellaneous decorations, are OK to use considering there is no ground provided. These are one item that I firmly believe should be taken off of the market due to safety issues !
Thanks,

Patent a screw-in outlet that does have a ground (and one that can be UL listed), and you'll never work another day in your life.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
Patent a screw-in outlet that does have a ground (and one that can be UL listed), and you'll never work another day in your life.

First you will have to patent a socket with a ground and then change every lightbulb screwshell. :grin:

Dennis Alwon said:
First you will have to patent a socket with a ground and then change every lightbulb screwshell. :grin:
Why not use one of them there floatin' grounds? Or would that mean you'd have to flood the yard with water to make it float?

(Personally as much as I don't like threaded adapters I figure the christmas lights only have 2 prong plugs anyway... so a ground wouldn't do much)... just put the whole house on a GFCI. ;)

Krim

DaveTap said:
... just put the whole house on a GFCI. ;)

I believe all exterior (outside) wiring, not just receptacles, should be GFCI protected anyway . It should be mandated in the code that all exterior branch circuits be off of GFCI circuit breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.