Installing XP seal offs efficiently

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhais

Duct seal

Duct seal

Come on now, do you really mean that? Duct seal having a harming effect on Chico that is a grout type material?

The oils in duct seal comprimize the chico compound thereby weakining the dam.

Read that in manufacturers literature somewhere along the way.

Another issue is that after an accident cause and origin engineers look for installations that do not meet manufactures instructions.

HighWirey

Always used the manufacturers accessories with the same manufacturers base equipment. Never used duct seal except for several small sewage lift stations. Kind of a standard installation here - two two inch pipes (for the motors), and one one inch pipe (for the float balls-i.e controls). Then, at the customers request, the seals were only packed with duct seal (to facilitate removal of motors or controls gone bad). I always got a written release from the customer. May not be a legal install, but that paper may give my attorney smiling room in the event of a boo-boo.

Best Wishes

HighWirey

naplespete57

You started a good thread. Hope you didn't get more info than you wanted.

Just visited http://www.crouse-hinds.com/catalog/PDFS/00193.pdf

C-H has some new wrinkles about filling their sealoffs. Chico in Intrapak comes in a divided pouch, Chico on one side, a measured amount of *water on the other, packed by sealoff size. Probably $pendy, but in an exp area hopefully your estimator did not skimp!

* 'a measured amount of water' is not insignificant - Durn, too much water, add some chico. Durn too much chico, add some water, etc, etc . . . 'fore you know it you got a quart!

Guess the cut up soda bottles, cans, and cone bottom drinking cups are a thing of the past. It's all about the labor.

Best Wishes

jcross

A representative from Crouse-Hinds is presenting a "Explosion Proof Demo / Seal Pouring Class" at our facility tomorrow. The explosion-proof apparatus demo is pretty cool, along with the seal pouring training this takes about three hours to deliver. We don't allow anyone to pack/pour seals at our site without having this training. Our site is here in East Tennessee and I can check tomorrow and see if they deliver this in other areas if anyone is interested??

masterelect1

jcross said:
A representative from Crouse-Hinds is presenting a "Explosion Proof Demo / Seal Pouring Class" at our facility tomorrow. The explosion-proof apparatus demo is pretty cool, along with the seal pouring training this takes about three hours to deliver. We don't allow anyone to pack/pour seals at our site without having this training. Our site is here in East Tennessee and I can check tomorrow and see if they deliver this in other areas if anyone is interested??

Ask him about using ductseal as a dam.

jcross

As far as Crouse-Hinds fittings are concerened, only the Chico-X fiber is the only listed product that you can use to build a dam in an explosion-proof seal. Duct Seal is not an approved method for this purpose.

Jaxprat

NO MORE CHICO! NO MORE CHICO! Check out T&B Starteck seals for Starteck glands. You can use putty or liquid, depending what serves your fancy...a little more expensive but time-saving enough to justify....

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Jaxprat said:
NO MORE CHICO! NO MORE CHICO! Check out T&B Starteck seals for Starteck glands. You can use putty or liquid, depending what serves your fancy...a little more expensive but time-saving enough to justify....
According to the T&B catalog, they are only UL listed for Division 2; i.e., they are not explosion proof.

Edit add: I note they are CSA listed for Division 1. They appear to be designed for Canadian "TECK" cable. Personally, I agree with this but it is not a recognized US domestic application.

Last edited:

Jaxprat

rbalex said:
They appear to be designed for Canadian "TECK" cable. Personally, I agree with this but it is not a recognized US domestic application.

Thank you for clarifying that, Bob. However, CSA vs NEC is a moot point for the mostpart where TECK90 cable is concerned, because most versions of TECK are now covered by the "cCSAus" standard. As you are surely aware, cCSAus is an upcoming standard which will combine and hopefully (IMHO) do away with most of CSA, NEC and IEC. The cCSAus standard is now recognized in every State and City within America.

Various standards organizations and most cable manufacturers recognize the superiority of TECK90 over standard armored cables and it is now widely manufactured, distributed and accepted on both sides of the US/Canada border and the rest of the world for use in C1D1 hazardous locations.

For example, ?Norteck? is Alcatel?s tradename for a TECK 90 cable that meets both US (UL Type MC) and Canadian (CSA Type TECK 90) requirements. Houston Wire & Cable, Belden and even Raychem have their own versions of TECK which are all approved to UL Standard 2225 Class I Division 1. T&B will surely certify their Starteck fittings to the cCSAus standard, as well.

So, I'm sorry, Bob. Not because I may have been wrong. I'm sorry because while UL sits around and discusses how they are going to make the rest of the world adhere to their standards, you still get to use CHICO.....erg!
Regards,
Jax

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Jax,
cCSAus is an upcoming standard which will combine and hopefully (IMHO) do away with most of CSA, NEC and IEC.
cCSAus is just a listing like UL and other listing agencies. It is not a code or standard to replace the NEC or other electrical codes.
Don

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
As it stands at the moment, CSA TECK 90 is not recognized in US domestic applications for Class I, Division 1 no matter who makes it and no matter how it is listed. And UL had nothing to do with it. It was a decision of NEC CMP14 from a Proposal by API.

The only Type MC cable recognized for Division 1 in the US is "Type MC-HL cable, listed for use in Class I, Division 1 locations, with a gas/vaportight continuous corrugated metallic sheath..." TECK 90 is usually recognized as Type MC with a "interlocking metal tape armor."

Personally, I like TECK - it just isn't recognized in the US.

Jaxprat

Don,

"If this mark (CSA logo) appears with the indicator "C and US" (cCSAus logo) it means that the product is certified for both the U.S. and Canadian markets, to the applicable U.S. and Canadian standards, including UL, ANSI, ASME, ASTM, ASSE, CSA, NSF." ( Excerpt taken from http://www.csa-europe.org/english/certification_marks/csa_marks_for_usa/ )

"The CSA Marks mean a product has been tested and meets applicable standards for safety and/or performance, including the applicable standards written or administered by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), National Sanitation Foundation International (NSF), and others. " (Excerpt taken from http://www.csa-europe.org/english/certification_marks/trust_csa_marks/ )

cCSAus information specifically relating to hazardous locations can be found at http://www.csa-europe.org/english/product_areas/hazardous_locations_equipment/hazloc_for_na/

FYI, CSA = Canadian Standards Association - keyword = "Standards"

I hope this clears things up....
Jax

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I'm fairly certain Don is familiar with the marking?s purpose. The key is "...the product is certified for both the U.S. and Canadian markets, to the applicable U.S. ? standards..."

Essentially the "us" means CSA has used a US standard to evaluate the product. Currently there is no ?applicable? US standard to evaluate TECK 90 except as Type MC with an interlocking metal tape armor and that construction is not recognized in Division 1 in the US no - matter whose certification logo is on it.

naplespete57

Occupation
Project Manager in Conveyor Industry
After Alllll

After Alllll

Have been through several now. Not as bad as I anticipated. Perhaps need to practice some neatness!

Crouse Hinds sells some plastic tools for creating dams.

Appleton rep fragged Crouse Hinds "Epoxy" saying it is highly expensive and dangerous (read cancer causing OMG)

Chico on the threads sure keeps the caps from vibrating out!

Only make up enough to work in 15-20 mins.

Don't dilly dally on replacing caps after pouring chico. Ya might not get them in as far.

Even tried Turkey Baster. Works pretty good. Cut the hole a little bigger. Be prepared for jokes about artificial insemination.

Tried actually mixing chico in a plastic bag. Once mixed, cut off corner and squeeze into sealoff (kind of like you would a pastry funnel)

Any confirmation re: the duct seal. IMHO that is a great way to go. I'm certain that the only reason that manuf. frown on this use is because it is not their product. C'mon with the reaction stuff..not convincing.

Just some feedback
Thanks for all the help!

tkb

It would be nice if Crouse Hinds would develop a seal compound that could be dispensed from a caulk tube without the fiber dam.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have found that the least expensive way to deal with seals is to not pour them at all. Justy put a red tag on them that says "Must be poured after installation".

:)

jbower

naplespete57 said:
Am going from having done Zer0 seal offs in my electrical career to doing a bunch of them! I need to be able to install them fairly quickly now sooo I could use some tips and ideas on how to fill them with Chico as fast yet as effectively as I can. Any help?

Thanks

Pete

COOPER Crouse-Hinds make a CHICO SpeedSeal if the EYS is vertical you use Chico X fiber and if the EYS is horzontal no fiber is needed, the speedseal is a cartridge form. CAT. NO. CHICO SS2 (2 oz. sealing material) SS6 (6 oz. sealing material). Works great! It even comes with a steel tag for marking purpose.

jcross

jbower said:
COOPER Crouse-Hinds make a CHICO SpeedSeal if the EYS is vertical you use Chico X fiber and if the EYS is horzontal no fiber is needed, the speedseal is a cartridge form. CAT. NO. CHICO SS2 (2 oz. sealing material) SS6 (6 oz. sealing material). Works great! It even comes with a steel tag for marking purpose.

Is the "Speedseal" still only listed for use in "Group D" applications?

jbower

jcross said:
Is the "Speedseal" still only listed for use in "Group D" applications?

I go back to work Thursday and I'll check to make sure, I thought it was good for all classes. I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.