Freeze!!! NEC Police!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

480sparky said:
Big Box DIY stores like Orange and Blue aren't really interested in stocking material that is to current codes... they are interested in selling to homeowners.
Right! I base this on the simple fact that there always seems to be a generous supply of 30 amp, single pole breakers for sale at the Home Centers. I might actually have a legitimate need for one or two of those a year.

76nemo

480sparky said:
White, and even LA, looks sick in a log home.

DSC04952a.jpg

Just curious, do you mean "sick" in a negative way, or "sick" in a positive way as the youngsters do?

peter

Is it a co-incidence that the NEC started requiring AFCIs and tamper proof receptacles [which causes the price of housing to go up] and now there is this huge housing slump?
~Peter:confused:

480sparky

76nemo said:
Just curious, do you mean "sick" in a negative way, or "sick" in a positive way as the youngsters do?

"Sick" in meaning white just don't look good on wood walls.

Can you spot the 5 switches and 3 receptacles in this photo?:

DSC04653a.jpg

Since you can't, image how they would look if they were white.

(Think of ivory today on nice (contemporary) new white walls.....)

peter d

480sparky said:
White, and even LA, looks sick in a log home.

Well, since log houses are pretty uncommon here in the suburbs of the big city, we use white. ;) Ivory and almond are not fashionable to us here in high brow New England. :D

Krim

480sparky said:
"Sick" in meaning white just don't look good on wood walls.

Can you spot the 5 switches and 3 receptacles in this photo?:

DSC04653a.jpg

Since you can't, image how they would look if they were white.

(Think of ivory today on nice (contemporary) new white walls.....)

Are you serious ? 5 switches and 3 receptacles are in this picture , not hidden ie...covered somehow or on the opposite side of what we're viewing ?

Carl :confused:

480sparky

Krim said:
Are you serious ? 5 switches and 3 receptacles are in this picture , not hidden ie...covered somehow or on the opposite side of what we're viewing ?

Carl :confused:

Nope... right in plain view. Wood cover plates, yes, but Ivory devices.

mdshunk

Dennis Alwon said:
I have seen them at Lowe's. They have a metal back to them. At least I think they were listed. :grin:
For that matter, those ceramic cover plates some women are fond of aren't UL listed, and there's no way to use most of them in an NEC compliant manner. Devices are required to be at least flush with nonmetallic cover plates. Most of those ceramic one's are so thick, the device face itself doesn't even have enough "stick out" to even come close to flush.

resistance

peter d said:
Weird. It must be a local thing. Ivory went out of style here 20 years ago. It's still common for commercial, but residential is 100% white devices.
You must not do a lot of residential work! :):D

Krim

Originally Posted by peter d
Weird. It must be a local thing. Ivory went out of style here 20 years ago. It's still common for commercial, but residential is 100% white devices.

resistance said:
You must not do a lot of residential work! :):D

People in general differ in regards to taste in their decor, knowone can say 100% off the residential jobs use white devices. Come on ... be realistic.

Carl :rolleyes:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Krim said:
People in general differ in regards to taste in their decor, knowone can say 100% off the residential jobs use white devices. Come on ... be realistic.

Carl :rolleyes:

Your right-- 99% white

peter d

Krim said:

Sorry, I was not specific. :) 100% of new construction homes have white devices installed. Any one that I have done or seen has white devices.

Existing homes we will obviously match what is there or ask the customer what their preference is.

So Dennis is right, it's about 99% white devices. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.