Cussing on the job site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-box

As project manager in the electrical company which a work for, I have come across a problem, cussing and vulgar talk on the job site. Example while walking a jobsite, (elementry school) I was approached by the GC and told 2 of my electricians were cussing and making vulgar statements in ear shot of the school principal who over heard said conversation. I was schocked and embarrased, the principal is an older lady, and the things that were said by my elctricians:mad. This action by my 2 electricains almost cost us a very good and important client. I also worked with a GC on a differant project who could out cuss a sailor, this in earshot of the hospital personel. I belive this is very unproffesional, and could as in our case cause companies important clients. Your thoughts please.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Simple, they're down the road.

Employees without manners, common courtesy, or just plane rude are not tolerated, end of story.

Roger

donselectric

i was brought up on bb and i'm good at it.. all in fun.
i cant say anything cause f bomb is part of my vocab
i say it and don't even realize it...ahhh senility....:D

480sparky

Does your employer have an employee handbook? If so, does it say anthing about language?

If not, I would suggest it gets updated.

iwire

Staff member
The companies I have worked would discipline the employees and if this was not the first time they may be as Roger said down the road.

These companies also had extensive handbooks that covered about any kind of issue. Civility, appearance, hygiene included.

EBFD6

It's called lack of "CLASS" . There is a time and place where it may be alright to drop an occasional F-bomb or maybe a dirty joke, in the right audience. Poker night with the guys and a job site (especially one where the customer or general public are around) are two completely different sets of circumstances and I think some people don't think about that before they open their mouth. As a service electrician, I am constantly in contact with the customer/public and I am 100% positive that one complaint of this type would lead to immediate termination of my employment. You gotta think before you speak!

Krim

You know it used to be thought of as construction site language,the cat whistle,etcetera ... problem is that the profanity has worked it's way off the construction site and into the schools and even as far as government officials, don't believe it watch some of the 'caught on tape' clips of various politicians, it's everywhere today. For the most part vulgarity is a part of todays modern language and it's only those of us of whom when growing up as a kid got the soap in the mouth treatment, or the hot sauce, that have any appreciation for the use of proper language. Even respecting women and the elders of our society is becomming but a mere memory of our yesteryears, sure it would be nice, and to some of us it is still expected out of professionalism, for persons to at least act like they have some self dignity but unfortuneately most today don't.

Carl

wireman71

Thats your problem as a employer. Are you hiring get it done hardcore construction types or skilled I know code professional electricians at what they expect to get paid. ********You need to ask your people not to swear on the job. If they are decent types they will try to tone it down. No swearing is unrealistic. Fire everyone that swears. Good *****luck on that one. You'll be working by yourself.

Edited for obvious reasons by Ryan :D

Last edited by a moderator:

wireman71

I used abbreviations.. LOL! Didn't know that we shouldn't do that. But the truth is that construction types swear. Just need to work on them not doing it so much in certain places.

mdshunk

wireman71 said:
No swearing is unrealistic.
But the unemployment line or the bench is very realistic.

Just think about where you're working, for Pete's sake. I couldn't even imagine letting one slip in a school or hospital. That just seems so common sense to me, that guys who can't comprehend that must have been raised by wolves in a orphanage or something.

j-box

wireman71 said:
Thats your problem as a employer. Are you hiring get it done hardcore construction types or skilled I know code professional electricians at what they expect to get paid. WTF!!! You need to ask your people not to swear on the job. If they are decent types they will try to tone it down. No swearing is unrealistic. Fire everyone that swears. Good f... ing luck on that one. You'll be working by yourself.
:rolleyes: Im not the employer nor do i hire or fire that is not my department but i require respect out of the electricians i oversee just as i respect them, we have no trouble finding skilled electricians the 2 i mentioned have seen the problem they caused and corrected it. Its a matter of cuss and loose ur job or follow simple policy and feed, clothe and shelter u and urs. Its cuss and more cuss and Good luck you will NOT be working! the choice is simple.

cadpoint

Best I got ...

Best I got ...

Edited
wireman71 said:
...If they are decent types they will try to tone it down. No swearing is unrealistic. Fire everyone that swears. Good luck on that one. ...
Maybe I've grown out of it, but I've been told I had the language... now it's just, "Praise the Lord".
It's not in vain that I crawled up a ten foot ladder to drop a tool or a part, or forget that I needed something else, I just praise and go do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.