Opinion on local code????

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Say you have a 120v flow switch and bell - where would you put the OCP?

Inspector sites local code:
760.72. Add the following new section:
760.72. System Requirements.
(A) Supervising Station Fire Alarm Systems. Supervising station fire alarm system wiring installed within or on buildings shall be installed in metallic raceways.
Exception: Communication conductors installed entirely within a dedicated telephone equipment room, switchboard area or fire control room.
(B) Source of Power. The circuit supplying the fire warning system may be connected to either the line or load side of the service disconnect. Circuits shall be protected by means of an externally operated fused safety switch or a circuit breaker either in a separate enclosure or within a switchboard entirely separate from other circuit breakers. The switch and/or circuit breaker shall be clearly labeled and locked in the on position.
Exception: When connected to a circuit supplied by an emergency generator, or when monitored by a required 24-hour agency, a fire warning system equipped with a standby battery may be provided

Note placement of this addition at 760.72 (In part 3) Nothing simular in part 2...

Don't you think if they wanted this to apply to all of 760 - they should have put it in Part 1?????

e57 said:
Say you have a 120v flow switch and bell - where would you put the OCP?

Inspector sites local code:

Note placement of this addition at 760.72 (In part 3) Nothing simular in part 2...

Don't you think if they wanted this to apply to all of 760 - they should have put it in Part 1?????

I would just put it ahead of the switch. I do not see anything in the code that say you cant. Just be sure its locked in the on position.

code said:
The switch and/or circuit breaker shall be clearly labeled and locked in the on position.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Is this a "supervising system" or just a flow switch and bell on a single family home with fire sprinklers?

If it is a single family unit I think they are misinterpreting the intent of the code.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
They want the fire alarm disconnect on the supply side of the service disconnect? OR a completely separate locked disconnect??

Crazy.

Steve

e57

Non-supervized - just a 120v flow switch and a bell in a multi-family - but only serving one unit as they were not required to sprinkler the whole building - just one unit and a mech room....

What they want is a locked on disco with OCP from either the line or load side of the main. In this case after the house meter...

But the question is about the placement of where they stuck this code ammendment. 760 has 3 parts
  • Part I = General
  • Part II = NPLFA
  • Part III = PLFA
They stuck this code at the end of part III and the end of all of 760, yet on numourous occassions Inspectors seem to imply that it encompasses all of 760. But its placement (by them) seems to suggest that it is only for PLFA. How would you read it?

Or is there something I'm missing that says you need to have the source of power for NPLFA at the main already in the code somewhere? As they have no other simular language added in Part II or Part I.

Or other code that requires this bell to be supervized?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Did the fire sprinkler plan show how the electrical for bell and flow switch? I have done a few jobs where the electrical for these items is only known to the sprinkler guy's , since they have the only set of plans that they have drawn, until the inspection when you find out how they want it done. I say if they don't give you the schematics going in it is an extra. But ask for the "approved" fire sprinkler plans, it maybe red lined on the sprinkler plan.:mad: And the first time this happened was in San Fransisco what city is this ?

e57

acrwc10 said:
Did the fire sprinkler plan show how the electrical for bell and flow switch? ~ But ask for the "approved" fire sprinkler plans, it maybe red lined on the sprinkler plan.:mad: And the first time this happened was in San Fransisco what city is this ?

Oh this is SF.... "Approved" "Red-lined" "Reapproved" shows only sprinkler flow switch and bell. Never any notes for supervision etc.

Some inspectors are good with a breaker in any panel and with a screw on handle holder in the "ON" position - done. Some (a select few) like to 'bust 'em' - but for some reason never really follow through, and leave with a 'can you move this there or that there'. But I'm sick of the game.... If you work in SF I think you know what I mean?!? One inspector one way - another the other....

Last edited:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
e57 said:
Oh this is SF.... "Approved" "Red-lined" "Reapproved" shows only sprinkler flow switch and bell. Never any notes for supervision etc.

Some inspectors are good with a breaker in any panel and with a screw on handle holder in the "ON" position - done. Some (a select few) like to 'bust 'em' - but for some reason never really follow through, and leave with a 'can you move this there or that there'. But I'm sick of the game.... If you work in SF I think you know what I mean?!? One inspector one way - another the other....

I know exactly what you mean. The last rough in I had in SF I heard a lot of " If it was my house, I would have done it differently". ??? Who cares that the home owner wants it the way we installed it and it is up to code. With some inspectors it is more about being in control then about understanding the intent of the code.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Since it's a local ordinance they may have just used that number because there is a hole in the numbering there.

We use a separate numbering system for our local ordinances, though for the NEC we only have 5 or 6 and most of them are more interpretations.

Status
Not open for further replies.