Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underground Wire Tracer

Underground Wire Tracer

After another service call with an open conductor in a USE -2 cable assembly, I'm entertaining the idea of investing in an underground wire tracer so I can hopefully pin point the open conductor, dig a small hole, make the repair and be on my way. In the past, I've condemned the whole run and re-trenched and pulled new wire. Now with wire prices where they are and these situations being longer and longer runs upwards of 150', I'm looking for an alternative. Has anyone had any experience with these tracers, particularly the Amprobe AT 2001? I'm currently shopping around.
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

The Amprobe AT2000 series seems to be what most people are using nowadays. I'm still using the old Dynatel tracer, and it still works fine. I don't even think they make those anymore, but there are zillions of them out there.

Marc.....Do you find these testers reliable and worth the investment?
    Tom

amprobe at 2005

This is by far the best tracer I have owned over many many years here is an old post there is so much more I could say but I dont have enough time #13 04-28-2007, 03:04 AM
    quogueelectric
    Member Join Date: Feb 2006

underground tracers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally dont believe in wishing sticks. I have quite a few tracers and they all work a little quirky. the yellow fiberglass type that the utulity trucks used to carry a progressive that looks like an egg on a string. 2 goldack units simple to use but quirky imho. 2 rd 400 ditchwitch units and one ditch witch 950r the most expensive by far it is very almost too sensitive and I usually keep the rd400 on the truck as my bread and butter tracer very simple to use and acurate you can pick up a used one on ebay for a few hundred dollars if you are patient. the amprobe 2005 is not necessarily an underground tracer and I have not used this one outside but having used this one almost weekly I can say for sure that this is by far the best tracer I have ever used and has payed itself off over and over again. they say it can be used for simple underground residential and it can trace romex and other cables about a dozen feet in a wall. A customer called me about 6 months ago and said they experienced a near fatal shock in thier shower newly installed. I went right over and found that the grab bar had become energized. I put the tracer on it and it went right to the problem I cut a small 2inch round hole in the kitchen on the oposite side of the grab bar. When the plumber installed the grab bar he used a long screw and it pierced the plastic box in the kitchen drove itself right into a non gfi 20 amp hot wire energizing the grab bar. when the customer grabed the diverter valve he almost was electrocuted he said he couldnt let go for some time. The tracer loceted the problem within an inch and I didnt have to wreck thier new kitchen to solve the problem. Priceless.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    We use an Ideal. Same as a Progressive. Wire tracer is not the same as something that actually finds the fault. Expect to pay $1k and above. More than paid for itself over the years. Accurate to within 1/2 inch if you work at it.
    Tom
    TBLO

So what I'm looking for is a fault finder opposed to a tracer? I just need something that will show me an open wire buried underground.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by m73214
    So what I'm looking for is a fault finder opposed to a tracer? I just need something that will show me an open wire buried underground.
    Amprobe AT2000 series I think this might be what you are looking for.
    Norb
    My Boss is a Tyrant and my Employee is an Idiot.

Thanks for the replys....Looks like the AT 2005 is the way to go.
    Tom

Love my Amprobe AT series

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    We also have an older version of the AMPROBE. Ideal/Progressive fault finder is hands down better for that specific purpose.
    Tom
    TBLO