Thread: Service lateral or Service Conductors?

Service lateral or Service Conductors?

Suppose we have a typical underground house service feed from a pad mount transformer with the meter on the outside of the house and the service panel inside opposite the meter. We would all agree that the service lateral runs from the transformer to the meter and the service entrance conductors from the meter to the service panel.

No suppose that we move the meter next to the transformer so that it is no longer on the house. Does the service lateral go from the transformer to the meter, this being the first point of connection, and the the conductors from the meter to the house become service entrance conductors, or does the service lateral remain from the transformer to the house and the point of connection between each at the entrance to the house?

IMHO all you mentioned are service entrance cond.. A lateral is just a type of entrance (overhead or lateral((underground)). I would say from the first means of disco (service disconnect) they turn to feeders.

I'd say the conductors from the XMFR to the meter are the lateral and from the meter to the service equipment are service entrance conductors.
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

From Article 100 2005 NEC:

Service-Entrance Conductors, Underground System. The service conductors between the terminals of the service equipment and the point of connection to the service lateral.
    FPN: Where service equipment is located outside the building walls, there may be no service-entrance conductors or they may be entirely outside the building.

Seems to me (by the definition above) that the conductors between the meter mounted on the X-fmr and the service panel would be "service entrance".

Pete
    Experience is something thats gained shortly after you really needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Does the service lateral go from the transformer to the meter, this being the first point of connection, and the the conductors from the meter to the house become service entrance conductors, or does the service lateral remain from the transformer to the house and the point of connection between each at the entrance to the house?
    If the secondary conductors run directly to service equipment on the inside of the building, at the point those conductors penetrate a building wall or such dividing barrier they become the service entrance conductors. Otherwise, service entrance conductors are from the last termination outside to service equipment inside. This is regarding an underground delivered service.
    Last edited by Smart $; 05-10-07 at 08:01 PM.