Dishwashers and Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

delfadelfa

I bet I can rough in and hard wire the dishwashers in a 12 family with a switch above the counter faster and cheaper than you can crawl under the sink and install your receptacle and cord. No drilling the cabinet, can you run a cord through a cabinet??? No finding approved cords. No finding or mounting a receptacle on the finish. All I need is a 20 amp switch, romex connector and three wirenuts, under a buck. I have wire a lot of dishwashers and only had one that came with a cord..

S'mise

Where in 400.8 does it say I cant drill a hole thru a cabinet?

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings,
suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar
openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
Exception to (4): Flexible cord and cable shall

S'mise

Good question. I don't see where HP ratings are required unless it's for a motor. Yes, a dishwasher has a motor inside but the heating element probably draws more than that. Furthermore I dont think the intent is to disect an appliance to figure out what types of loads they might be (inductive/resistive...)

The appliance ratings should be all you need. 440.14

Finite10

The problem with a toggle switch right on the DW J-box is ... If you have to replace the DW someday, you have to put in another toggle.

Last edited:

S'mise

Thank you.

As long as the plug will fit thru the hole its fine. If you drill a hole just big enough for the wire and then wire on a cord cap, thats a violation.

220/221

It using a cord and plug on a dishwasher in a compliant manner as easy as everyone is making it sound?

Every single DW and disposal has been done like this in my area since the late 60's. That's a lot of units.

Once in a while I will come across one hard wired with cloth covered romex.

3' appliance cord for disposal, 5' appliance cord for the DW. Available anywhere here.

If you drill a hole just big enough for the wire and then wire on a cord cap, thats a violation.

That's a violation of common sense :)

220/221

I bet I can rough in and hard wire the dishwashers in a 12 family with a switch above the counter faster and cheaper than you can crawl under the sink and install your receptacle and cord. ..

Ideally, you install the pigtail before the DW and disp are installed. And....if your timing is right, you install the 1/2 switched recep before the counter tops are installed.

The idea behind the cord and plug connection goes beyond initial installation. The appliances will have to be replaced. It is easier/safer to unplug them to service, repair ot replace them.

I remember one of my first jobs in the trade was installing appliance pigtails on a pallet full of disposals (early 70's housing boom).

delfadelfa

The problem with a toggle switch right on the DW J-box is ... If you have to replace the DW someday, you have to put in another toggle.

I could not find any posts on this thread about a toggle switch on the DW J-box. That would be a code violation because it is not readily accessible. Not to mention a cubic inch over fill and a waste of time. And then there's that 100% chance that I will not be replacing a dishwasher. I'll leave that to the plumber while I do electric work some where else.

been wiring homes for 30 years never installed a cord on a dishwasher, alway wired direct. breaker locks are the norm here in nj for all direct wired appliences.

stew

I agree that nowhere in 400.8 prhibits a cord running thru a hole in a cabinet. If breaker locks are not permitted by the new code then cord and plug or installation of a switch will be the only 2 methods allowed it seems. I never hardwire a d/w or disp. I always run a mutiwire 20 amp circuit to the space behind the disposal which will always be accessable and split the outlet top hot bottom not and there ya go! Simple and easy and code compliant.

M. D.

I have never installed a seperate disconnect for a residential hardwired dishwasher.. I have wired a few with proper cords , the instructions called for the receptacle to be in an adjacent cabinet with cord passing through side wall of cabinet... while the first is more often than not a code violation ,. the latter is not..

lakee911

FWIW, my folks had a switch in the wall above the dishwasher for their disconnect when their house was built in 1989/1990. They never turned it off ever. Last kitchen remodel (recent), that space became a light switch and the dishwasher was then hardwired.

Status
Not open for further replies.