Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sump pump and GFCI protection?

Sump pump and GFCI protection?

Does a sump pump require a GFCI outlet or do most sump pumps already come with some type of GFCI protection built into them? Any NEC articles that could clear this up for me? TY

Since the sump is a dedicated circuit it does not require gfci protection. Imagine if you had heavy rains and something trips the gfi you would have a flooded basement and possibly much bigger concerns. That is what I have always thought and been told. Maybe, and I could be wrong it could require a gfi outlet after the rough as temp power until the cable is sleeved and a single receptacle is installed?

If the pump is in a basment then you have to use a GFI... read ART. 210.8
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

Not all sump pumps are dedicated circuits and the fact that it may be should have no effect on whether it is a gfci or not. As stickboy said in basements of dwellings (corrected) unfinished basements, crawl spaces or outside it must be on a GFCI.
    Read art. 210.8(A) for dwelling 210.8(B) other than dwelling

I put them on a single rec no Gfi.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakey
    I put them on a single rec no Gfi.
    It's not legal but many do it that way.

GFCI protection is not required for a single receptacle if it occupies a dedicated space. This exception will be deleted in the 2008 NEC. After that you'll need to install a 240 volt sump pump to not use a GFCI receptacle.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

There is an exception in art. 210.8 (A)(5) exception 2. A sump crock is dedicated space.

I disagree--- I don't think a sump pump is an appliance. Would you allow a single recep. in a crawl for a condensate pump. I would think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon
    I disagree--- I don't think a sump pump is an appliance. Would you allow a single recep. in a crawl for a condensate pump. I would think not.
    I would say that a sump pump does meet the defintion of "Utilization equipment" which is what "Appliance" says. Or am I missing something?
    VA Master Electrician