I disagree with George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I posted on this site in response to another post that was on the same thread.
George in his capacity as a moderator removed the two posts.
I disagree with his action. Moderators have a tough job here sometimes and I understand and sympathize with them, but they should not have the right to just remove all posts they think are not correct. The two posts in my opinion did not have the necessary content to be removed. If it was to get worse, that would be different. In moderation, George could have sent a PM or email to help diffuse the situation.

I feel if I am going to frequent this site, that I should be able to discuss - even if I am upset/mad - topics that are more than just of a a friendly nature, especially when I respond to defend myself after someone else has their post up for hours before I was able to respond.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Pierre C Belarge said:
George could have sent a PM or email to help diffuse the situation.

Pierre, on the flip side of the coin, did you PM George to express these same feelings directly to him?

Roger

dlhoule

Pierre, While I don't always agree with you. I do not feel you have any reason to defend yourself. The vast majority of your posts are beneficial to the overall content of this forum.:grin: :D

360Youth

Everybody has a right to defend himself. Pierre is a great contributor so I would believe, although I have not right the posts in question, that there are very few that would doubt his views, opinions, or credibilty. As far as the removal issue, maybe a moderator should try PMing an edited version of the post to the poster before completely removing it entirely. I do agree that moderating is a difficult job and it always a judgement call. The system here that Mike and others have set up I believe is a thorough one, but not perfect.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Pierre, I've always found you to be fairly eloquent. You must have really been miffed if George deleted you. Guess since you're not going to tell us which post it was, I'm going to have to read them all now.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
Would be nice if we got a pm as to why.Some of mine get deleeted too but usually cause i step over that fine line.

I agree with Jim (come on, you knew it had to happen sooner or later :grin: ) sometimes we don't know where the line is and it would be helpful to get a pm and say something like "your post was deleated for the following reason(s)."

jnsane84

Exactly where is that line.....I wanna be sure I just run up real close to it and not go over. Other than the rules and regs that I've read can someone give a condensed cliff notes version of what "the line" is?:D

dcspector

Good grief Pierre,

What did you say? Something about religion, use a colorful metafor, not being politically correct, something derogatory against an EI or an EC, Kick someone in the family jewels and tell them they have ugly children. etc.......what? The suspense is killing me....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
jnsane84 said:
Exactly where is that line.....I wanna be sure I just run up real close to it and not go over. Other than the rules and regs that I've read can someone give a condensed cliff notes version of what "the line" is?:D

The line is pretty well defined in the forum rules.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violate any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this forum.

which sums up most (not all) of the reasons.

Roger

roger said:
Pierre, on the flip side of the coin, did you PM George to express these same feelings directly to him?

Roger

Hello Roger
No I did not PM George.
As I have said before, I am not perfect I am only human. But I have had posts removed without even knowing why or when and it is just as easy for a moderator to PM the poster that his/her post is being removed for whatever the reason may be.

I feel that if the moderator has the time to remove a post, he has the time to quickly PM a poster to say whatever is necessary. A Macro can be developed so a moderator would not even have to spend the time typing it out.

I can tell you that I was about 50% sure that the post would be removed...because of who was involved.

My father taught me to always stick to my thoughts until someone else is able to prove me wrong. Yet, I did not think I was overly excessive. My response was in anger and I was to the point, anger because the comments that have been made are over a period of time, not just from the one post.

Some people have PMed me, asking to see the picture, I am not going to provide it to anyone. I understood when the person told me why he removed the picture and I acquiesed to his action. But he had to continue and "rub" it in, as I am doing now. I know, two wrongs do not make a right...I am not at all happy about this situation ...

And, Thank you to all who have encouraged me or mentioned that they think I make some contribution here. I do appreciate the comments!!!

joe tedesco

Pierre:

Send me the story about the sleepy headed instructor in Connecticut and I will post it on my site.

On another note, I am finding that some students in class spend lots of time on their cell text messaging, and when told to please stop find that red box on evaluations!

billsnuff

contributors

contributors

This forum (thank you Mr Holt) has what many other don't.........

Civil discourse is engagement in conversation intended to enhance understanding. Done well, it can drive to insight that is actionable..

now if i just got continuing ed credits :grin:

and i like the humor as well

hats off to all who make this a success.

billsnuff said:
This forum (thank you Mr Holt) has what many other don't.........

Civil discourse is engagement in conversation intended to enhance understanding. Done well, it can drive to insight that is actionable..

now if i just got continuing ed credits :grin:

and i like the humor as well

hats off to all who make this a success.

Yes I agree, and in the course of discourse there is sometimes disagreement which can be very beneficial towards a better understanding of the topic of discussion.

billsnuff

sorry pierre, no disrespect intended at you or anyone else....i just thought that that definition was concise and to the point like many of the posts here.

and i love to follow a good debate, i learn tons.

iwire

Staff member
Pierre just to be clear I did not ask George to remove the post and I have no problem if he (and Roger) put it back.

I am a big boy with thick skin.

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
but they should not have the right to just remove all posts they think are not correct.

That is an issue you could bring up to Mike if you feel strongly about it..

From the posted forum rules...

we at this forum reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever.

Truthfully the Moderators do not really delete that much, more often items get moved out of sight that way they can be restored if the need arises.

iwire said:
Pierre just to be clear I did not ask George to remove the post and I have no problem if he (and Roger) put it back.

I am a big boy with thick skin.

I never mentioned your name nor did I ask to have it re-instated.
I am upset/mad about the principle of how these posts were and are removed.
I was also quite sure you did not ask to remove the posts, it is not in your nature to back down from a good "fight/discussion".

My mercury level has come way down and I am basically over this. It is time to move on to another good "fight/discussion".

Status
Not open for further replies.