I disagree with George

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceknight

Pierre C Belarge said:
I have not read all of the rules for the forum, but it would seem that one of the rules for the forum is that they can remove a post for whatever reason they care to.

I hesitate to jump into this thread, mostly because it's not about using electrical tape. :) But Pierre, in response to the comment above, you have to also keep in mind that there is a selection process for moderators in this forum. Moderators are chosen in large part because they have established themselves here as knowledgeable, helpful persons who don't as a matter of habit or principle react badly in their public discussions.

That selection process goes a long way towards ensuring that "for whatever reason they care to" really amounts to "for good enough reasons and usually with good enough judgement."

dlhoule

ceknight said:
I hesitate to jump into this thread, mostly because it's not about using electrical tape. :) But Pierre, in response to the comment above, you have to also keep in mind that there is a selection process for moderators in this forum. Moderators are chosen in large part because they have established themselves here as knowledgeable, helpful persons who don't as a matter of habit or principle react badly in their public discussions.

That selection process goes a long way towards ensuring that "for whatever reason they care to" really amounts to "for good enough reasons and usually with good enough judgement."

Gee Chris, do you handle the NEC in the same way?:grin: :D

iwire

Staff member
ceknight said:

Thanks Chris that was well put, I will go on to remind everyone that many times we do not delete or destroy the posts unless it is advertising or without question junk.

We generally move the post or thread to a place called the "Relocation Forum" there is also a "moderators forum", with these two forums we (the mods) can look at the posts and talk about them.

I have pulled threads only to have the majority of moderators say 'Hey you went to far, that should go back. So it goes back no big deal. :)

As different as all of us mods are we do work well together and try to help each other out with decisions. For the most part I think it goes well, but we will never please everyone all the time.

George pulled the two posts and placed them in the relocation forum with his reasons why, I could easily have put them back but that is not how we work.

A bunch of us talked about the posts and decide they where better left removed.

Energize

Whew!

There are 64 posts in this thread. I did not count them, but roughly 35-40% seem to be from moderators. Moderators who have taken the time to say they are too busy to PM the "offending" poster to let them know why and where they crossed a line. A line which, frankly, is not always that clear or uniformly enforced.

This thread started from someone upset that their post was pulled without any contact, either public or PM. He was upset because the post was pulled without the common courtesy of an explanation. I know, this is not a public site, but there is still a measure of courtesy that is expected if indeed you wish to tout your "professionalism".

The Moderators volunteer a good, thankless job for the most part. But this is an area which could be imporved upon, IMO.

iwire

Staff member
Energize said:
But this is an area which could be improved upon, IMO.

You have a complaint about people who volunteer their time at a web site that cost you nothing but often increases the readers knowledge of the trade?

Your certainly welcome to your view. :smile:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Energize said:
Whew!

There are 64 posts in this thread. I did not count them, but roughly 35-40% seem to be from moderators.

Actually, as of the 64th post only 22% of the posts were from Moderators.

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

While i would like a pm as to why i must admit they might be deleeting many in a day and this could take a lot of time.Perhaps just a simple this message was deleeted by ----- then we could pm and ask why.

peter d

mdshunk said:
How about a short song? Seems like some people could use a song. This song from 'Barney and Friends' comes to mind:

I love you
You love me
We're a happy family
With a great big hug
And a kiss from me to you
Won't you say you love me too?

That's the best advice I've heard in this whole thread. Now let's all have a group hug. :)

76nemo

jnsane84 said:
BOO HOO.........I'm all out of electrical tape and i've only got 3 wirenuts left.:(

Then in the theory of good practice, all untaped joints must be soldered:rolleyes:

Talk about an ongoing jabbing match:grin:

R.I.P.
Mike Holt
Great man, great instructor.
Never taped a single nut.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
weressl said:
But I am not surprised. Y'all defending the undefendable........:grin:

No, not defending anything, we don't have to, just letting you know how it is.

If we decide to remove or relocate a post or even a thread, it is up to the individual Moderator whether he sends a PM or not.

Sometimes we will discuss the actions we take and on other times we don't.

In a nutshell, things are going to go on as they always have.

The rules are HERE

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
I vote to close this thread. It has no purpose at this point. Everyone has made their point.

And so be it locked.

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Since this thread was in my name, I'll take the last word:

Energize said:
This thread started from someone upset that their post was pulled without any contact, either public or PM. He was upset because the post was pulled without the common courtesy of an explanation. I know, this is not a public site, but there is still a measure of courtesy that is expected if indeed you wish to tout your "professionalism".

The Moderators volunteer a good, thankless job for the most part. But this is an area which could be imporved upon, IMO.
For the record, the unedited immediate explanation for the removed post can be found by clicking here. To any who are unclear, I did not PM because I had publicly stated why I pulled it.

The End

Status
Not open for further replies.