TC cable in docks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

I've seen quite a few older marinas that are wired with Tray Cable run in the wood framing of floating docks. The TC cable has a USE rating. Assuming (I hate to use that word) it also has a sunlight resistant rating, is using TC cable in docks a code compliant installation.

Reading article 336.12(2) I am of the opinion this is not code compliant.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

tc cable in dock's

tc cable in dock's

All docks past present and future,have had mining cable ran for feeders,That out of water wire above floats,could be ran in pvc and thhn.

iwire

Staff member
Welcome to the forum beavercreek. :smile:

beavercreek said:
All docks past present and future, have had mining cable ran for feeders

All past and future?

That is a pretty strong statement for your first post, I am willing to bet there are 1000's of docks that have never seen 'mining cable'.

There are nation wide seminars for the marina contractors that I get invited to and that's the most common topic and practice.

iwire

Staff member
beavercreek said:
There are nation wide seminars for the marina contractors that I get invited to and that's the most common topic and practice.

Maybe it just the term 'Mining Cable' do you mean any rubber covered?

No,mining cable has a number(forgot it:rolleyes: )but your supplier should be able to find it .distributors in Atlanta,the stuff ain't cheap,thats why you don't use it on top side.

TC cable in docks

No not just rubber cable(forgot number:rolleyes: )but your local elec supplier should be able to find it.distributor's in Atlanta the stuff ain't cheap,thats why you don't want to use it on top side.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
beavercreek said:
All docks past present and future,have had mining cable ran for feeders,That out of water wire above floats,could be ran in pvc and thhn.

Hopefully, taking 555.9 into consideration.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
Keep in mind art.555 is for commercial marinas a docks. It has nothing to do with residential docks. Call the AHJ and he/she will tell you what they require in the jurisdiction. Last floater I was able to use SOW underneath the bridgeway and dock, then Bell box and EMT rest of the way. Nothing in the NEC addresses this specifically. (floating docks) If so please provide the article.....Thanks

hardworkingstiff

John Valdes said:
Keep in mind art.555 is for commercial marinas a docks. It has nothing to do with residential docks. Call the AHJ and he/she will tell you what they require in the jurisdiction. Last floater I was able to use SOW underneath the bridgeway and dock, then Bell box and EMT rest of the way. Nothing in the NEC addresses this specifically. (floating docks) If so please provide the article.....Thanks

The OP was about 2 docks with 100 slips.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
So the question stills begs for an answer. What are the NEC rules concerning residential floating docks, or is it left up to the AHJ to make all the calls. I would like to see some reference to this subject as I have been planning another floater in the near future. I am subing it. Different AHJ on this one and I have no idea what they are going to want. An article sure would make me feel better about the safety of the customer, and the possible lawsuit that follows.. An inspector can always say "I didn't tell him to do that".

hardworkingstiff

John Valdes said:
So the question stills begs for an answer. What are the NEC rules concerning residential floating docks, or is it left up to the AHJ to make all the calls.
Article 555 does not apply to residental docks. Any chapter 3 wiring method that is approved for the location is fine. The big things are you can use UF cable (the insulated ground requirement is in 555), junction boxes can be in the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.