Switched receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacomafc

OK, I know its a real silly question but...... I need to show someone some proof that a receptacle can NOT be switched by a dimmer. Are there any articles in the code book that would mention this topic? Thank you for all your time.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
tacomafc said:
OK, I know its a real silly question but...... I need to show someone some proof that a receptacle can NOT be switched by a dimmer. Are there any articles in the code book that would mention this topic? Thank you for all your time.

You can dim a receptacle if you use these special receptacles. Here is the PDF

DFDU-nickelplate.jpg

Jim W in Tampa

Dennis Alwon said:
I don't need to. I am pretty certain NC will not adopt the TR change.

This will shock you but the world doesn't really care what NC thinks.And if they are smart they will not set themself up to defending themselfs by over riding the nec in court.When they do they are saying they are smarter than nec.This applies to any code we locals try to overstep.

HOT COFFEE gets millions

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jim W in Tampa said:
This will shock you but the world doesn't really care what NC thinks.

Gee I must have hit a nerve. Personally I was okay with the TR recep. I was just making a statement. Obviously not everyone thinks that all the rules the NEC make are final. Why do you think the NEC can make a better rule than another area. Your statement is very short sighted.

That is like saying the teacher or the boss is never wrong. It's Bull.

celtic

Jim W in Tampa said:
This will shock you but the world doesn't really care what NC thinks.And if they are smart they will not set themself up to defending themselfs by over riding the nec in court.When they do they are saying they are smarter than nec.This applies to any code we locals try to overstep.

Is that why NJ has so many lawyers and so few AFCIs? :grin:

electricmanscott

Jim W in Tampa said:

HOT COFFEE gets millions

This is why I love Jim. Always seems angry and alswys shoots straight. Seriously, look at the avatar. Jim makes me laugh every time. :)

iwire

Staff member
electricmanscott said:
This is why I love Jim. Always seems angry and alswys shoots straight.

Yeah, no doubt about that. :grin:

But what is 'alswys' :grin:

Seriously, look at the avatar.

Hey, I have Taz tattooed on my left shoulder, you can't help but like the Tasmanian Devil. :cool:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Jim, the reality is any State can amend laws and codes, and it is a myth that if they do that they have to exceed what they are amending.

They can even set limits to how much you are allowed to sue them for.

Heck Jim, a State doesn't even have to adopt any part of the NEC if they choose not to, they could choose to adopt "Clem's lectrical hookin up metherds"

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
iwire said:
Oh yes, the CLHUM, that code seems to be used in many lake houses in NH. :grin:

I have also seen many installations under this standard. :grin:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.