Line Side of the Neutral Disconnecting link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mani_1101

What does this really mean? I undertand that the GEC should be connected to the line side of the neutral disconnecting link (at least in Chicago). Is this disconnecting link just the nuetral bus of the equipment? Is there a disconnecting link device that I have to specify? Please clarify. I thought that no devices where needed. Also, should i connect the GEC to the neutral bus or the equipment bus, assuming they have a MBJ in between them?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure what a neutral disconnecting link is other than what you may find in a transfer switch for an SDS-- neutral is switched.

The gec should be connected to the neutral bar but if there is a bus or a connection between the equipment ground and the neutral that is not dependent on the enclosure then I don't believe it matters where the gec lands. Generally I land it on the neutral bar but many panels have the neutral bar and equipment bar as the same.

iwire

Staff member
When I have seen them in switch gear they were simply short sections of the neutral bus that are designed to be easily unbolted and removed. It might leave about a 6" open section.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have seen large switchboards with a neutral link that separates the continuous neutral buss from the main section to the subsequent sections. On the line side of the link, where the service neutrals connect to the bus, there's usually a lug for the GEC. This ensures that if the neutral link is removed for some reason that the GEC is still connected to the neutral.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
It is code required.

230.75 Disconnection of Grounded Conductor. Where
the service disconnecting means does not disconnect the
grounded conductor from the premises wiring, other means
shall be provided for this purpose in the service equipment.
A terminal or bus to which all grounded conductors can be
attached by means of pressure connectors shall be permitted
for this purpose. In a multisection switchboard, disconnects
for the grounded conductor shall be permitted to be in
any section of the switchboard, provided any such switchboard
section is marked.

Check out pdf page 15 (document page 13)

http://www.yosemiteiaei.org/pdfs/grd_bond.pdf

mani_1101

Thank you guys, if any more clear explanations are out there, pls feel free to write. Ill keep cheking on the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.