Ceiling Fan Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

cowboyjwc said:
What happened to the old days of cutting a 2 x 4 block and nailing it between the joists and then hanging the fan box on that?

I think this is an existing ceiling installation....

Mike03a3

The end cap comes right out of the square bar - just pop it out, trim the bar (I used the metal cutting wheel of a rotozip) and put it back together. It probably took less time than it took me to type this (the cutter head was already on the zip.)

220/221

Are the bars made to be cut (will I void the listing)?

EVERYTHING is made to be cut.

Listing schmisting.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
kkwong said:
Gotta agree with you there :D I hate attics...especially in the summer...

My boss always thought I was strange because I would rather crawl under a house than go in the attic. It's more my knees that cause me the problems, not that I care for the heat or the insulation either.

kkwong

cowboyjwc said:
My boss always thought I was strange because I would rather crawl under a house than go in the attic. It's more my knees that cause me the problems, not that I care for the heat or the insulation either.

Give me under the house any day! I'll deal with the spiders, snakes and rabid raccoons (and home owners) before I deal with the heat, hornets and black widows (though they could be under the house, too).

frank_n

I do have attic access, but it is in an area which would be very difficult to get to. My solution was to buy an Arlington ceiling fan "bar box" that is made to fit between wooden I-beams. The Arlington box compresses to 12", the Westinghouse only compresses to 14".

macmikeman

Glad Frank figured out the correct solution. And for you guy's struggling with your hacksaws, get with the program. Portable band saw. Spend a few bucks. I bet if you do, your hacksaws never come out of the truck again.

JASE

cut it!

cut it!

I have come across this situation countless times--I have had success cutting the braces--usually seems to get nice and tight even after cutting--I don't know if this voids the UL listing, but what are you going to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.