Must the outlet for eqipment in the attic be GFCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

roger said:
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but when we go into a residence to perform service work we go ahead and put GFCI protection on all the 15 and 20 amp 125 volt circuits so if we have to plug a drill motor or other tool in any receptacle in the house, we're covered.

We use breakers so we have a larger material mark up.

What would normally be a simple 1 hr service call ends up costing these customers a few grand but we are safe, code compliant, and happy, life is good. :grin:

Roger

WOWZEE...

Wouldn't a plug in model of GFCI afford the same protection at quite a different price?

1061345.JPG

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
celtic said:
WOWZEE...

Wouldn't a plug in model of GFCI afford the same protection at quite a different price?

1061345.JPG

Absolutely, but that would be a ridiculous solution, not to mention less of a profit maker :wink: :D

Roger

We do not get to pick and choose which code rules we want to follow. I recall reading a thread about a laundry circuit being able to have receptacles all over the house and the only violation comes from someone plugging into it, not the installer who placed all the receptacles on the laundry circuit.

Roger, correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall you agreeing with that logic, because of the literal wording of the code rule.

iwire

Staff member
roger said:
Absolutely, but that would be a ridiculous solution, not to mention less of a profit maker :wink: :D

Roger

Roger, you simply sell the customer the GFCI cord at a greatly marked up price. :grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
curious george said:
We do not get to pick and choose which code rules we want to follow. I recall reading a thread about a laundry circuit being able to have receptacles all over the house and the only violation comes from someone plugging into it, not the installer who placed all the receptacles on the laundry circuit.

Roger, correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall you agreeing with that logic, because of the literal wording of the code rule.

George, I do agree, and my sarcasm in this thread is just that.

The reality is that the receptacle does not have to be GFCI protected, the user (if a maintenance person or worker of some classification) must provide GFCI protection for his/her protection.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
mgelectric said:
I was thinking this was just a furnace outlets. Not sure what he is refering to.? If it's the furnace then NO.

MG, you were right in your first post in this thread, there is no requirement for a receptacle in a residential attic to be GFCI protected.

DISCLAIMER: If there is a bath room or other area described in 210.8 in the attic, then yes, a GFCI would be required. :wink:

Roger

celtic

roger said:

Roger

Not that I am calling you a liar ....I just don't believe you :D :D :D :D

ceb

celtic said:
Aren't they requiring "whatever you are plugging in requires a GFI" to come with it's on intergral GFI protection? (Blow dryers, vending machines, etc)

Never put gfic in attic so the coke mach. should be ok with the intergral gfi built in:grin:

eandrews

Article 210.63 requires that a receptacle be within 25 feet of Heating, Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration equipment for servicing the equipment.
And 210.8 referencing GFCI required locations does not mention attic's as a required location for a GFCI.
So your helper is correct in his statement.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.