estimating an emt run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

Summer is upon us,enjoy. Quick question...

I want to install 3/4" about 130' in length on an exposed wall. But I will install 4 runs of it. So I will install strut on wall for length of run and then install 4 runs of 3/4" emt using strut straps.

About 20' up and I have a lift. Can someone help me estimate what this would cost in labor? I will pull 3 circuits in each at 20 amps each. I'm lost with this topic.

static.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hello all.

Summer is upon us,enjoy. Quick question...

I want to install 3/4" about 130' in length on an exposed wall. But I will install 4 runs of it. So I will install strut on wall for length of run and then install 4 runs of 3/4" emt using strut straps.

About 20' up and I have a lift. Can someone help me estimate what this would cost in labor? I will pull 3 circuits in each at 20 amps each. I'm lost with this topic.

static.

assuming you have a clear path to drive back and forth, and not a lot of
fiddling going around stuff, a days labor should do it. i'm assuming you
mean 4 runs of 130' each.

kwired

Electron manager
many factors apply here. Could take a couple hours or it could take all day.

long straight runs will go faster than runs that need frequent bends, junction and pull boxes or conduit bodies. Surface to fasten to and what method used can make some difference too.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It almost always takes more time than I want it to, but then again I only get to watch it being done.

Estimating, for me, is the hardest aspect of running a businesss. Invest in the time and money to learn and use even the most basic estimating program.

This is from a guy who has not taken the time and should have. Getting to old now.

ksmith846

Setup and cleanup = 6 man hours

Lift = $500

Labor to install conduit and wire = 48 man hours..factored at level 3 labor for lift work

Materials cost = $1200

Misc Expense cost = $200

My total cost with overhead is $3882 plus 10% profit = $4050 sell price for me

Last edited:

Sparky555

Just curious about the design, are you running 10 ga.? If you're running 12 ga. you can do it in 1/2". It's been a few years since I did this kind of work, but I'd expect to setup and install the strut on the first day, install the conduit on the second day, and wrap it up on the third. This could be an easy two days with great organization. Lift obstructions and conduit bends will change that.

satcom

It almost always takes more time than I want it to, but then again I only get to watch it being done.

Estimating, for me, is the hardest aspect of running a businesss. Invest in the time and money to learn and use even the most basic estimating program.

This is from a guy who has not taken the time and should have. Getting to old now.

Learning to use an estimating program is only part of the process, understand site conditions and how to manage the job flow helps make a project run with ease. one of the best ways to build your own estimating data, is to track and log, every job and record the labor units, material flow, and job conditions, you can start to log all the steps in the flow in a spiral note pad. you can save all the logs and over a period of time you will have a job actuals treasure chest, to make on target estimates.

cdslotz

Setup and cleanup = 6 man hours

Lift = $500

Labor to install conduit and wire = 48 man hours..factored at level 3 labor for lift work

Materials cost = $1200

Misc Expense cost = $200

My total cost with overhead is $3882 plus 10% profit = $4050 sell price for me

Why charge for setup/cleanup? That should be in your labor unit, but maybe not because I came up with 54 hrs which is exactly 6 hrs.
You factored up the labor for a lift? Lifts make the work faster in most cases vs using ladders. Also, you are paralleling 4 runs. My program factors down for multiple runs.

thank you

thank you

Hello,

Thank you for your responses. Very good. I also came up with 3,640' of wire and 520' of 3/4" emt. I have an estimator program but I'm unsure about how to utilize the program with running emt and wire in it.

I have to use 3/4" emt and #10 THHN as it's spec on the print. Also states not to exceed 3 circuits and no shared neutrals in the fine print notes. Always read that.

You'd be surprised what you find in those notes that can be costly to you if over looked. $$

ksmith846

Why charge for setup/cleanup? That should be in your labor unit, but maybe not because I came up with 54 hrs which is exactly 6 hrs.
You factored up the labor for a lift? Lifts make the work faster in most cases vs using ladders. Also, you are paralleling 4 runs. My program factors down for multiple runs.

My program does take into account for multiple runs and i entered as such. I added the extra 6 hours to account for cars and/or any other obstacles to work the lift around. I agree the lift makes the work easier than a ladder, however cutting conduit and making bends is not easier than being on the ground. Therefore I always enter lift work at higher labor level.

BTW what sell # would you have based on this info and not seeing the jobsite?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Without any m/u I come up with about $3,200 material and 75 hours labor. No lift included. MAterial prices are different eveywhere/

stew

why not put 6 circuits and and 2 neutrals in each conduit and cut the conduit run to 2 pipes? save a third on pipe and strut straps and make 2 pulls instead of 3 which cuts labor as well.

MarkyMarkNC

You'd be surprised what you find in those notes that can be costly to you if over looked. $$

If this is a bid situation, you would also be surprised how often your competition will ignore those cut and paste specifications, and beat your bid. Is the #10 spec one of those standard "circuits over 100' run must use #10 THHN" notes?

Status
Not open for further replies.