Generator remote engine/fuel shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

Has anybody come across a requirement to supply a remote engine/fuel shut off for an exterior, pad-mtd generator? I always thought that a shut-off button installed on the enclosure was suffcient.

micromind

Around here (Northern Nevada) most fire dept.s will require that the gen be shunted out along with the service main when the switch in the red triangle is hit.

Use a two pole switch, one pole trips the service main, the other pole is normally closed, and is wired in series with the gen E-stop.

I usually use the kind with the little hammer and glass face, they use standard contact blocks, so you can configure any way you need.

ron

bwyllie,
The only time I've seen that request to from a owners specific requirement.

micromind,
What code requirement does the Fire Dept use to require that? Is it a local ammendment or is it a verbal request. What is the switch in the red triangle?

micromind

Apparently, its a local requirement. Some dept.'s require it, and others don't.

Every building around here, (again, likely a local thing) requires a 12" red triangle (sort of like the slow moving vehicle warning sign you see on tractors alot) with some sort of switch in it to kill power to the building. This can be placed on the door of the main breaker section of a switchgear as well.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just as an aside, it's a really bad idea to kill the fuel to a genset without shunting the breaker at least at the same time, if not first. Starving the engine of fuel causes the alternator to put out a decaying frequency and that wreaks havoc on many digital electronic systems.

micromind

Around here, the switch/button must be in the center of the red triangle, 80" above finish grade. If the location is not on the drawings, then somewhere near the poco xfmr is best.

So far, I've never had to move one per the fire marshall.

If the building has a switchgear or meter/main outside, the red triangle may be placed on the door that houses the main. If a gen is present, there must be a switch in the same cubicle to kill it.

The idea is if the fire dept. needs to have all power off in a building, they can do so from one location.

Status
Not open for further replies.