cutler hamer retrofit panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

They've been out for a good number of years now. I used about 20 of them on one job, but that was the only time. The lead time was maybe 6 weeks, as I remember. My panels were sized to fit inside of flush existing Zinsco cans for an apartment building that was done in pipe. It was the only economical thing to do, in my case. Keep the can, slap in a new interior and new cover.

CH also makes their regular panels in a sort of "retrofit" version, which has the whole guts located somewhat lower in the can. This makes room in the top for factory installed terminal strips to splice any short conductors so that they can reach their new locations. I haven't used this panel, nor do I ever expect I will. I'm totally fine with wire nut extensions on conductors in replaced panels.

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
did you like using them?
Nothing to it, really. Just strip the old can bare, put the interior in to the template, and wire the circuits back up. You'd need a compelling reason to use the retrofit kit, such as a flush panel in pipe, but it's really nice for when the need arises. When there's lots to do, as was the case with the apartment building I was talking about, you can really make some good time.

I understand CH has a new panel out now, where the AFCI's and GFCI breakers plug onto the neutral rail in addition to the hot buss finger. Eliminates the curly pigtail. Havn't seen one of those in person yet.

Jerseydaze

electricalperson said:
anyone ever use those new cutler hammer retrofit panel kits? i seen them advertised at my supply house but i didnt get to see one yet and wondering how people like them

do you have a link that sounds like something I might need some day.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I haven't used this panel, nor do I ever expect I will. I'm totally fine with wire nut extensions on conductors in replaced panels.

I agree, I would not bother with it either. I saw that panel at the supply house and there was quite a premium on it. A handful of wirenuts and some THHN scraps are a whole lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.