Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuisance tripping of GFCI

Nuisance tripping of GFCI

Is a GFCI required on a Head Bolt Outlet? Or where in the NEC is this taken into consideration. If AFCI's are adopted into the NEC for all dwelling circuits, the same problem of nuisance tripping will have to be adressed, I assume by the AHJ.

Nuisance tripping will be addressed by the EC.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

All GFI requirements are in 210.8 and FWIW, I never heard of nuisance gfi tripping....
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

Someone put me out of my misery - WTF is a 'head bolt outlet'????

Quote Originally Posted by dbuckley
    Someone put me out of my misery - WTF is a 'head bolt outlet'????

I was wondering the same, thats why I just gave the article on required GFI's... I didn't see "Head Bolt Outlet" as being required either....
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

A head bolt outlet is where you plug in your diesel block heater. "Head bolt heater". Canadian speak. It's a brand name.

I think that if the OP were to megger check whatever device was in use during a so-called "nuisance trip", the results would be most educational. I maintain that there's no such thing as a nuisance trip. There's always a reason.

I maintain that there's no such thing as a nuisance trip. There's always a reason.
    Marc: I agree almost 100%, other than a bad protective device (GFP or GFCI) and even then nuisance tripping is telling you the device is defective, so then there is no nuisance tripping. Though this term has become a standard term in the trade for unknown trippping and/or reoccuring tripping. AND disconnecting the protective device because of "nuisance tripping" IS ALWAYS A NO NO.
    Brian John
    Leesburg, VA

it might not be liked but if it trips just find the reason.GFI 'S SAVE LIVES.

Thank you Marc for that clarification.

A couple of decades back when GFCIs were new tech, there was such a thing as nuisance tripping, and we discovered that some appliances, particularly microwave ovens, I seem to remember, had design "features" that made them play badly with GFCIs. Those old clunkers have now been replaced several times over with appliances that are designed not to trip GFCIs.

So that was then and this is now - now a trip means something is up, and effort should be expended to find out what.

But just on common sense - outdoor socket, wet / snow, GFCI a Good Idea, required or not.