Wet Romex Usable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

Minuteman said:
Like I said, I have megged and replaced bad sections of wire from fires, and some of the wire has been wet from the fire hose. Replaced all devices, and passed by the AHJ.

But for some reason this practice has lost me my right to be called an "electrician".

Guess that makes me a wet wire hack or another of those certified dummies. :D

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

76nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman
Like I said, I have megged and replaced bad sections of wire from fires, and some of the wire has been wet from the fire hose. Replaced all devices, and passed by the AHJ.

But for some reason this practice has lost me my right to be called an "electrician".

Guess that makes me a wet wire hack or another of those certified dummies.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to go to bed early, I can't quit laughing. You're an S.O.G. Minuteman! Ha-ha-ha-he-he-he!!!!!!!!

peter d

I guess no one has addressed this issue yet, but who rides around with romex in the back of a pickup truck these days? That makes the thieves job way too easy. :roll: Even when romex was cheap this was a bad idea, now it's even worse.

satcom

76nemo said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman

Guess that makes me a wet wire hack or another of those certified dummies.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to go to bed early, I can't quit laughing. You're an S.O.G. Minuteman! Ha-ha-ha-he-he-he!!!!!!!!

You can't be a wet wire hack, because you know what a megger is, and how to use it.

But I think you found the answer for, the wet wire hacks, they just need too carry a megger in that pick-er- up-er Truck, they can keep it in the cab, with the gun rack, and banjo!

Last edited:

celtic

satcom said:
You can't be a wet wire hack, because you know what a megger is, and how to use it.

But I think you found the answer for, the wet wire hacks, they just need too carry a megger in that pick-er- up-er Truck, they can keep it in the cab, with the gun rack, and banjo!

So what your sayin' is:
The bed is good enough for some romex, but not the megger?

wet romex

wet romex

If the leak is stoped them after it drys out its OK to use but the outher posting is correct about megging of hi potting the wire is the most inportant thing which we wouldn't do in the field on a small wire. 99% of the time this would be fine but that 1% might cause a house fire. Check to see if your insurance is paid up before you leave the job or replace the wire.

roger3829

ten storys?

ten storys?

charlie tuna said:
many years ago we wired a 378 unit condo project----two ten story buildings using nm cable. i know that much of this wiring was soaked by south florida rains prior than the building being dried in. the economy went down and the second building sat unfinished for about a year -- again, much of the installation exposed to water during rain storms. we finished these buildings and provided changes and any service work to these building for over two years after they were sold and occupied ---- never had a problem. only two electrical problems during the period was 1) picture hanger screw hit a nm cable. 2) a threshhold screw hot a sub feed... ten years??? i don't agree with that period of time! it might take a few months for all the moisture to evaporate from the cable once the building is fully dried in. if it operates after it's dry i wouldn't expect any future problems. now please understand--i'm in the "take a chance catigory" type electricians............ but remember----- there's a saying that if you are making a mistake here and there--your not taking enough chances!!!

I didn't know you could use NM in a ten story building??

satcom

roger3829 said:
I didn't know you could use NM in a ten story building??

How about before 1971 , I am not sure, but will have to look some more to be sure.

Last edited:

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We like to soak the romex in a barrel of water before pulling it in. The wet jacket makes it fly through the framing without burning the jacket. Are y'all sayin' we ought not do that??

Minuteman

bkludecke said:
We like to soak the romex in a barrel of water before pulling it in. The wet jacket makes it fly through the framing without burning the jacket. Are y'all sayin' we ought not do that??
No Bob, that only works with goose grease.

lpelectric

bkludecke said:

You're killin' me. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Insurance claims for water damage

Insurance claims for water damage

Yes. It can be very hard to convince insurance companies that electrical equipment exposed to water needs to be replaced. Once it's dry it's back to it's original state. Right???
I need to be held accountable for my actions and my installations. The insurance companies don't see it that way. If I feel that some portion of an electrical installation needs to be replaced because of water damage, and the insurance company won't pay than I walk away.
You need to be able to sleep at night.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
gregsparky1 said:
Yes. It can be very hard to convince insurance companies that electrical equipment exposed to water needs to be replaced. Once it's dry it's back to it's original state. Right???
That depends on what the evaporated water has left behind. Flood water is rarely without minerals.

cschmid

Man I am glad I did not read this entire post I would never get back that much time..but as an electrician with a boiler license :)smile: ) I can not seriously think that you could have enough water off a residential boiler to damage the whole house worth of NM..The water damage inspection sheet says where the wire end are exposed to water..sheet rock adsorbs water so the amount of damage will be minimal but yet some damage will occur..common sense and a meggar will tell you what needs replacing and a good inspection can tell what needs to be repaired..besides the anti-freeze really is not anti freeze unless you got some joker doing boiler work..it actually has an oxygen scavenger component to it..the chemical reaction in the multi material systems we have..you need a chemical stablizer..so if this was done professionally it would not be antifreeze..

So just leave your nm in the back of your pickup (w/o topper) during a couple of rain storms and you can pull it in easier..besides it helps the color transfer to your hands and the kids will think you are really cool..

Status
Not open for further replies.