First Post!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreamlineGT

Well, not really, but it is my first post here from the van, on the new laptop, using somebody elses WiFi....... :grin: I am setting up a printer so I can bill and estimate right from Quickbooks, on location. I am officially now in the 21st Century.

SmithBuilt

I would like to be able to do just that but have not found a small portable printer at a reasonable price.

It is nice to have and "office" at the job in order to keep things moving.

satcom

SmithBuilt said:
I would like to be able to do just that but have not found a small portable printer at a reasonable price.

It is nice to have and "office" at the job in order to keep things moving.

We use a cheap printer be bought at targets for $69 and power it up with an inverter $49.

StreamlineGT

When I bought the laptop, there is a rebate for the printer, which is the cost of the printer. It's an HP D1455. Not great, but I don't need it to be.

zog

I have a new panasonic Toughbook that is synched to my desktop and blackberry, love it. you can drop this toughbook off a roof in a rainstorm and it will still work, plus it has a nice touchscreen and can convert to a notebook.

StreamlineGT

I'm not really sure, my company is in it's infancy, so the files I needed to transport from the desktop to the laptop are minimal. I just made a portable file and loaded it in the laptop. The laptop will be the only one I use for business stuff, so I don't really need to sync them. I just make sure I back everything up everyday, so if something does happen to the laptop, I can always get another one.

dduffee260

Have you looked at Windows Remote Desktop? I know some people are leary of it. We have started using it and really like it. You can actually take over your desktop computer from your laptop. All the file changes and data work will be kept on the desktop just as if you were sitting at your desk. It is included in Windows XP that I know about and I am sure the others have it also.

tmbrk

zog said:
I have a new panasonic Toughbook that is synched to my desktop and blackberry, love it. you can drop this toughbook off a roof in a rainstorm and it will still work, plus it has a nice touchscreen and can convert to a notebook.

I've been looking into a Toughbook myself. Seems the only way to carry a laptop in my truck because all it takes is dropping it once.......;)

Anyone else have any experience with Toughbook (good or bad)?

satcom

tmbrk said:
I've been looking into a Toughbook myself. Seems the only way to carry a laptop in my truck because all it takes is dropping it once.......;)

Anyone else have any experience with Toughbook (good or bad)?

Toughbook is tough, it will take a beating, it's the expensive battery that will not survive the falls, they just forgot to tell you that.

aline

I use cheapbook. Cheapbook stays in the van all the time and is mounted to a laptop pedistal mount. I also use el cheapo printer mounted on the same pedistal below the cheapbook.

Both never leave the van and have been in use for 2years in temperatures from below zero in the winter and above 100 deg. in the summer. I've haven't had any problems with either one. I don't remember what I paid for them but I know cheapbook was less than $500 and el cheapo printer was less than $300.

I was concerned about them holding up in the van but they've handled it just fine. Now if you're transfering it back and forth from the van and drop things like my wife does then that's a different story.

aline

Cheapbook and el cheapo printer in van.

Laptop1Sm.jpg

macmikeman

Apple I-Book (naturally) and a Cannon Ipx-90 printer. Got the inverter from the cheapo China autoparts bigbox store. I have a large size Plano box that fits right between the front seats of the van quite nicely. It used to be in my Ford E van, but now I have Chevy and works there also. Computer and printer go inside the box and out of sight until I need em, and then the Plano box cover makes a pretty good desk. A-line's rig does look pretty good though. If I used mine all day long and needed to be booted up all day, that is how I think I would do it also.

dduffee260 said:
Have you looked at Windows Remote Desktop? I know some people are leary of it. We have started using it and really like it. You can actually take over your desktop computer from your laptop. All the file changes and data work will be kept on the desktop just as if you were sitting at your desk. It is included in Windows XP that I know about and I am sure the others have it also.

I use Remote Desktop. I do some work at home and never worry about having different versions of the same file. Also since the work computer is backed-up every night, never lose anything.
Remote desktop is very fast compared to other remote log-in software, provided you are not on dial-up.

RD first became available with XP and is on Vista.

JohnE

zog said:

What kind of money are you talking for a Toughbook? I've been thinkng about one myself.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
j_erickson said:
What kind of money are you talking for a Toughbook? I've been thinkng about one myself.
I was curious too, so I did a little poking. As it usually is when looking for the price on something pricey, they just don't come out and say in a few spots, so I am including a link to one site selling them, so it may not be the best deal, but $3533?!? :D

I thought I was paying a premium for my MacBook, but it works! :D

A couple weeks ago, my 300 pound father tripped over it in the doorway while I had it in my little accordion file thingy - kicked it over, spun and stomped down on it. I was mortified, but it was just fine. Good thing I had a couple EC&M's in there for padding!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.