Romex in commercial drop ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

peter d said:
However, good luck on trying to find some logic on why it's not allowed.
Servicemen have an unusual propensity to hack up romex while they're above the ceiling working. It's like a moth to a flame. ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
peter d said:
No, the building type does not factor into it.

However, good luck on trying to find some logic on why it's not allowed.

No real logic, it was basically a trade off with the metal conduit an cable manufacturers when the 3 floor NM limit was removed.

Roger

e57

The NFPA writes our codes and they seem to have a relationship they want to maintain with fire fighters by trying to limit flame spread and in general combustable materials installed in buildings, and the toxins released when they burn. And dropped cielings are an easy place for flame and smoke to spread.... At least thats my understanding of it....

Who knows - someday they might make and require metal clad Cat-5 as well......:rolleyes: Or conduit....

Anyway look at 334.12(A)(1) - pretty much eliminates NM above dropped cieling in other than one and two family resi.... Like say in commercial dropped cielings...

wireguru

e57 said:
The NFPA writes our codes and they seem to have a relationship they want to maintain with fire fighters by trying to limit flame spread and in general combustable materials installed in buildings, and the toxins released when they burn. And dropped cielings are an easy place for flame and smoke to spread.... At least thats my understanding of it....

Who knows - someday they might make and require metal clad Cat-5 as well......:rolleyes: Or conduit....

Anyway look at 334.12(A)(1) - pretty much eliminates NM above dropped cieling in other than one and two family resi.... Like say in commercial dropped cielings...

they do make MC cat5, RG6, etc. some jurisdictions such as clark county (Las Vegas) require EVERYTHING to be in conduit. You cant even string a plenum CAT5 above a drop ceiling

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The NFPA writes our codes ....
They don't actually write the codes. The codes are written by those who submit proposals and comments along with the volunteer members of the code making panels.
Don

celtic

e57 said:
The NFPA .... seem to have a relationship they want to maintain with fire fighters by trying to limit flame spread and in general combustable materials installed in buildings, and the toxins released when they burn. And dropped cielings are an easy place for flame and smoke to spread....

That might be debatable....

4.Chapter 3 of the electrical subcode, entitled "Wiring Methods and Materials," is amended as follows:

ii. Section 334.12(A)(2) is deleted in its entirety.
http://www.nema.org/stds/fieldreps/codealerts/20060505nj.cfm

Part of NJ's amended code.

e57

Thanks for correcting me Don....:roll:

wireguru said:
they do make MC cat5, RG6, etc. some jurisdictions such as clark county (Las Vegas) require EVERYTHING to be in conduit. You cant even string a plenum CAT5 above a drop ceiling
Vegas - I remember I watched some show about - it might have been NOVA???? Where whole rooms spontainiously combusted - I think it was the MGM Grand???? (It apparently started when Al FMC and copper refer tubing came in contact???) Fireballs raced around and the smoke was especially toxic.... Apparently even poker chips are flame tested now because of it.....

Can you even use FMC there now????

Status
Not open for further replies.