Lighting Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmac49

I am looking for suggested lighting levels (foot candles or lumens per foot) for heavy industrial repair shops. Anyone have any suggestions where to look? Online would be the quickest for me. Thanks
Jim

Try lithonia or sullviania both have good down loads, for your application (repair) try to stay closer to the 55 to 70 foot candle. For that matter contact the rep. in your area have him come in and design it for you, he can also bring and luminum meter and show you what your at. Then from there you can decide what you really want to do.

spsnyder

IES has standards for lighting levels for numerous tasks. It all depends on the amount of detail required, time, etc. What tasks are being performed?

spsnyder

The tasks performed are important. For example, if it is "exacting" the IES recommended light levels are 300 - 1000 fc. Not saying that's what you need, just an example. Are the pieces being worked on small or large? Is the work "exacting" or are there lots of tolerance?

jimmac49

Thanks for your replies guys. This is a high bay fixture replacement job in a heavy repair locomotive shop. It is general lighting not specific to any particular tasks. Portable lights are used where more intense lighting is needed alongside or below the engines.

Jim

billsnuff

jimmac

jimmac

The spec for a maintainance area from my engineering book says 70-80. Don't forget to consider reflected light, as in wall color and floor finish to prevent glare or take advantage of white walls. (coefficients of utilization)

Dark concrete has a reflectance of 30%
White painted walls have a reflectance of 80%.

Make sure you measure the lumens where the work is to be done, floor, table, workstation, etc.

cschmid

jimmac49 said:
Thanks for your replies guys. This is a high bay fixture replacement job in a heavy repair locomotive shop. It is general lighting not specific to any particular tasks. Portable lights are used where more intense lighting is needed alongside or below the engines.

Jim

Jim do you work for the facility you are re-lamping? If so there are also some tax deductions in the epact 2005 tax codes associated with LPD(lighting power density) levels and tax deuctions..So when you are re-fixturing this facility you can get extra bang for your money..The standard is an ASHREA/IES standard 90.1-2001..SO there is more to think about while working this job..

Edited for additional info..

the simplest way to measure your LPD is to multiply your LPD by the square footage this establishes the maximum allowable wattage for that space..So you can calculate each space differently..
If you are classified an automotive repair shop you LPD should be about 1.5 per square ft..If you were classified as a manufacturing facility it would be 2.2 per square ft..
I only mention this because the square footage you are probably doing is worth while if you reduce your general lighting by 25 percent you get.30 per square ft the price goes up for every percentage reduced..Just a thought that might be worth while..

Last edited:

jimmac49

Thanks for the information and replies. I am reviewing a 90% drawing package for the Railroad , an outside contractor will be doing the installation.
Thanks guys!!
Jim

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cschmid said:
the simplest way to measure your LPD is to multiply your LPD by the square footage this establishes the maximum allowable wattage for that space..So you can calculate each space differently..
If you are classified an automotive repair shop you LPD should be about 1.5 per square ft..If you were classified as a manufacturing facility it would be 2.2 per square ft..
I only mention this because the square footage you are probably doing is worth while if you reduce your general lighting by 25 percent you get.30 per square ft the price goes up for every percentage reduced..Just a thought that might be worth while..
There are great differences in FC/watt or CP/watt, depending on fixture type. Doesn't this affect the results?

LHarrington said:
For that matter contact the rep. in your area have him come in and design it for you, he can also bring and luminum meter and show you what your at. Then from there you can decide what you really want to do.

This is REALLY good advice. Most of the larger Mfg.'s/Rep's will be happy to run the photometrics on a specific layout, or help create a layout for you.

cschmid

LarryFine said:
There are great differences in FC/watt or CP/watt, depending on fixture type. Doesn't this affect the results?

I have not read anything that specifies but I will check it out later on today again..It is just looking at energy savings..But you can achieve more lumens and use same wattage as before..I am only talking tax credits now..not a difference in lumens per square ft..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.