Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reducing lugs?

Reducing lugs?

Hi Folks, Quick question. I have a situation where I need to get a 2/0 conductor under the terminals of a 100 amp breaker. The larger than normal wire size is due to possible plans for future expansion as well as to compensate for voltage drop due to the length of the run. My question is, do they make a lug or terminal that I could use to neatly reduce the 2/0 to something that will fit better into the breaker, instead of trimming a few strands from the conductor which leaves a less than attractive installation.

I think that MacAdapt is one brand name. But the short answer is "Sure!", such fittings are made. I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that most 100 amp breakers went up to 2/0.

Polaris to a smaller size in the enclosure.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by chris kennedy
    Polaris to a smaller size in the enclosure.
    I love using a good google / dictionary, here I thought U meant:

Polaris (Lorna Dane) is a comic book superhero in the Marvel Comics universe, and a member of the X-Men. She first appeared in [Uncanny] X-Men #49 (1968)

Not an isolation block, I was lost ...
    http://www.polarisconnectors.com/ :rolleyes:
    If your even thirsty, your two quarts low.

Quote Originally Posted by cadpoint
    an isolation block,
    http://www.polarisconnectors.com/ :rolleyes:

They also make individual bugs like these:

Marc, I was under the same assumption, and the label on the breaker indicates 2/0 as well, but trust me when I tell you that it will not fit in there. I would want to say a #1 would fit, maybe a 1/0 with a shoehorn, but the 2/0 won't make it without trimming a few strands.

Quote Originally Posted by racerdave3
    the label on the breaker indicates 2/0 as well, but trust me when I tell you that it will not fit in there.
    I trust you believe that it will not fit.

It would be very odd if in fact it did not accept the conductors listed on the breaker.

If after making sure the screw was out as far as possible and making sure the conductor strands where in perfect alignment, not ovaled, etc. it still did not fit I would start to suspect I had a counterfeit imported piece of junk.

one option would be a crimp on ferrule
    http://www.americanelectrical.com/In...reFerrules.htm

kinda large wire tho, and i'd try to find one that fits whatever press tool you have
    You can't scare me- I have teenagers

Ilsco also makes an adapter like the MacAdapt mentioned above.

Reducing lugs?

Quote Originally Posted by iwire
    I trust you believe that it will not fit.

It would be very odd if in fact it did not accept the conductors listed on the breaker.

If after making sure the screw was out as far as possible and making sure the conductor strands where in perfect alignment, not ovaled, etc. it still did not fit I would start to suspect I had a counterfeit imported piece of junk.
    A big 10/4 iwire! By all means " don't "cut out strands, I have seen to many of these arc and burn the insulation back and also make the breaker go bad and even solder the wire to the breaker. Good joints and tight connections will make for maintenance free installation's. Semper Fi