Enclosures for Media Control Cabinets per NEC 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in Minnesota, working on a museum exhibit that will tour oversees. The media control cabinet was custom made by our exhibit shop to fit 6 tower computers, network gear, a flash digital media player, and a audio amplifier and all needed cabling. It was not built into a enclosure, much less a 19 or 24" upright rack cabinet. It is 36" wide, 30" deep and 6'3" tall on casters, made primarily of steel tubing and expanded metal screen, it has plywood on the sides and several wood shelves. The unit is wired to code. These are temporary installs. The durations at each location is 6 months. The museums are sprinkled.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem when it is sent to museums overseas or when it comes back in 3 years, using it state side.

I would appreciate some insight.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
rglindholm said:
I am in Minnesota, working on a museum exhibit that will tour oversees. The media control cabinet was custom made by our exhibit shop to fit 6 tower computers, network gear, a flash digital media player, and a audio amplifier and all needed cabling. It was not built into a enclosure, much less a 19 or 24" upright rack cabinet. It is 36" wide, 30" deep and 6'3" tall on casters, made primarily of steel tubing and expanded metal screen, it has plywood on the sides and several wood shelves. The unit is wired to code. These are temporary installs. The durations at each location is 6 months. The museums are sprinkled.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem when it is sent to museums overseas or when it comes back in 3 years, using it state side.

I would appreciate some insight.

What code? The NEC would not cover such a thing.

If you are sending it to Europe, you will need to supply a declaration stating it meets all applicable requirements on pain of prison sentences in some cases. I would be willing to bet a hand made enclosure missed a few things. It is quite possible that a unit that was not built to all the required standards would not even be allowed past customs.

Enclosure regs.

Enclosure regs.

Bob,

I thought I saw guidelines for metal enclosures in the code book a couple years ago. It is going to Singapore, Korea, South America and the back to Australia. Not sure where it goes after that. I t could nd up in Europe, but it is not scheduled yet. I would have thought it would have to at least be fire proof.

RL

dbuckley

My opinion (and it is nothing more than that) is that if it visually looks safe, and each item of equipment in the box can pass a PAT test, then you'll have no problem with it. It would be sensible if the internal distribution and cabling in the rack uses IEC connectors, as that will make PAT testing easy. Are you changing the voltage selectors to 230V, or using a transformer?

Certainly lots of "stuff" arrives in Europe in the entertainment industry, and it gets used.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
rglindholm said:
Bob,

I thought I saw guidelines for metal enclosures in the code book a couple years ago. It is going to Singapore, Korea, South America and the back to Australia. Not sure where it goes after that. I t could nd up in Europe, but it is not scheduled yet. I would have thought it would have to at least be fire proof.

RL

there is a chart that lays out the various "types" of enclosures per UL and NEMA, but nothing on how to build them.

there is a good chance that if you are using commercially available equipment (amps, LCD screens, etc.) that those devices already meet worldwide standards. so there is some chance you would be OK on that side of things.

i seriously doubt an enclosure of this type made partially of wood is going to pass muster.

in some respects it depends a lot on where the thing is going. the fact that it is not for sale may or may not have an impact on things.

I just do not know for sure about the destinations you mentioned. I am pretty sure you would have some issues sending it to Europe.

In any case, none of the destinations you mention use the NEC so it would be irrelevant even if the NEC did apply.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
dbuckley said:
My opinion (and it is nothing more than that) is that if it visually looks safe, and each item of equipment in the box can pass a PAT test, then you'll have no problem with it. It would be sensible if the internal distribution and cabling in the rack uses IEC connectors, as that will make PAT testing easy. Are you changing the voltage selectors to 230V, or using a transformer?

Certainly lots of "stuff" arrives in Europe in the entertainment industry, and it gets used.

I thought PAT testing was only a UK thing. As far as I know, you still have to meet all the requirements for the specific type of device. The PAT test just shows that it is still safe (the RCD works, the cords are not frayed, etc.).

dbuckley

An PAT test doesn't even show that!

In the UK there is no legal requirement to do PAT testing, just a government requirement that workplaces are safe, and safe includes electrical stuff. So the easy way to illustrate your equipment is safe is to visually inspect and PAT test it at intervals. PAT testing for class one kit (ie not double insulated, normal grounding) is basically an earth bond test.

PAT testing also done in Australia / NZ, and many other places.

Don't see the problem with a wooden enclosure. Take a look at any flight case holding equipment, they're wood, and they have working equipment in them, and are frequently seen in temporary installations.

But the best advice is: Advance your show. Contact the venues you are going to and see if they have any rules.

PWR_Man2007

Electrical enclosures in europe

Electrical enclosures in europe

If this cabinet is to be powered and used in anyway in the UK it will need a CE mark. This can be obtained by self certification or by paid consultant.

dbuckley

PWR_Man2007 said:
If this cabinet is to be powered and used in anyway in the UK it will need a CE mark. This can be obtained by self certification or by paid consultant.

Whoa boy....

If the item is to be "brought to market" (ie sold) then it needs to be CE marked, but if it's not brought to market then the CE mark is not required.

Which is a good job really, as getting something to the point where it can legitimately have the CE mark placed upon it is non-trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.