Motion Sensor for outdoor lights - confusing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cws

Hi all-

First post here. I installed a motion sensor to control an outlet that in turn controls a line voltage light and a 600w transformer hooked up to about 10 10W or 20W outdoor lights. There had been no problem with the operation of the lights prior to switching everything around. Now, when the transformer is plugged in, the circuit breaker trips. Also, another curious problem, which is possibly related. The motion sensor worked fine for a couple days, and all during testing. Then it stopped working suddenly. I tried replacing the head, and when I hooked up a new head and turned it on for the first time, something inside the motion sensor burnt up. I checked the voltage going to the motion sensor and there was 120V between black and white, and 120V between black and red. Red goes to the outlet that the transformer and line voltage light are plugged into. (please let me know if additional details will help understand the problem). I have some theories as to what the problem is, but I would like to hear some other opinions as well.

ronaldrc

Sounds like you have a short circuit in your load between the red conductor and the neutral or the load side of your motion detector head.

That would cause the normally open contact in your head to burn out when it makes and that would be the reason your getting 120 volts between your red and black wire.

cws

Is it possible that the transformer stopped working properly as a result of being switched on and off by the motion sensor? Are there certain compatibility issues related to transformers and motion detectors that could cause a transformer to short out? BEcause the transformer seems to bu non-functioning now, and when it is plugged in it trips the circuit breaker, even if there is no load attached.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Sounds like your transformer primary is shorted. Measuring 120V from black to red is normal if the motion controller switch is open... and it don't matter whether the transformer is shorted or operating properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.