Contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skapooch

Sump Pump located in finished basement rec room in full view with only a lid on top of the opening. Submersible pump is on GFCI protection. Rec room is on AFCI protection. Does submersible pump also require AFCI protection?

wbalsam1

skapooch said:
Sump Pump located in finished basement rec room in full view with only a lid on top of the opening. Submersible pump is on GFCI protection. Rec room is on AFCI protection. Does submersible pump also require AFCI protection?

2008= Yes (I don't see an exception)
2005= No:smile:

cadpoint

Ok...

Ok...

wbalsam1 said:
2008= Yes (I don't see an exception)
2005= No:smile:
Could you please clearify with a article number, everything I was looking at said GFCI in the 430's ... and I'm in 08' and don't see much grey.
Are you using location as the basis of your answer?
430.51 lists and covers 210.8 only lists GFCI building below grade.

wbalsam1

cadpoint said:
Could you please clearify with a article number, everything I was looking at said GFCI in the 430's ... and I'm in 08' and don't see much grey.
Are you using location as the basis of your answer?
430.51 lists and covers 210.8 only lists GFCI building below grade.

Here's the question, again:

To answer this, I assumed the sump pump was plugged into a 120 volt 15 or 20 ampere receptacle in the rec room. Question is does pump (receptacle) require afci protection since it's located in the rec room. I answered "yes" according to 2008 NEC at 210.12(B) and no at 2005 NEC 210.12(B) :smile:

stickboy1375

If its a finished room, GFI protection not needed, as stated above 2008 AFCI required, 2005 no AFCI required...

And for what its worth this really stinks giving two answers for every question asked... :)

frizbeedog

skapooch said:

Can the sump pump be hardwired and GFCI protected at the breaker?

frizbeedog

stickboy1375 said:
I haven't come across a sump pump requiring GFI protection yet...

Really.

Crawl space. Cord and plug connected pump. See 210.8 (A) (4). I see no exceptions to the GFCI protected recep in that location. Just thought I'd mention it.:smile:

Cavie

stickboy1375 said:
And for what its worth this really stinks giving two answers for every question asked... :)

I think it's time we start including the code year in our post questions along wih listing our locations. Shure would help.

Cavie

frizbeedog said:
Really.

Crawl space. Cord and plug connected pump. See 210.8 (A) (4). I see no exceptions to the GFCI protected recep in that location. Just thought I'd mention it.:smile:

The question was not about GFI. Poster stated that it WAS gfi protected. Question was asked if it needed to be AFC. 2005 = no 2008 = yes depending on where you live, local amendments and such. Your milage may vary.

frizbeedog

Cavie said:
The question was not about GFI. Poster stated that it WAS gfi protected. Question was asked if it needed to be AFC. 2005 = no 2008 = yes depending on where you live, local amendments and such. Your milage may vary.

Your Right. I consider myself reprimanded! But original post indicates he's not sure if it's one, the other, or both. Sounds like he needs to check which code cycle he's under.

Status
Not open for further replies.