rigid pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i am bringing new electrical service into(mdp.)from outside powerline isn't it reqiured that it be ran in rigid pipe and not pvc(plastic pipe.)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Welcome to the forum. We need more information to answer your question. I would start with is the conduit in a area that is subject to physical damage?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
No , there are many acceptable ways per NEC. But you should check with your local AHJ they may have a local requirement.
And welcome to the forum.

iwire

Staff member
230.43 tells us what the NEC allows.

Just a few wiring methods on that list.

RMC

IMC

EMT

RNC (PVC)

LFNC

SE Cable

MC Cable

Wireways

Busways

Any restrictions will be local rules.

Edit, changed M to N.

Last edited:
smoke deectors

smoke deectors

is it required bye code for the electrician to put your residential smoke detectors on arc fault current intterrupters(afci)or are you allowed to put them on one dedicated breaker/feed and call it a day.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
guyaneesebrotha said:
is it required bye code for the electrician to put your residential smoke detectors on arc fault current intterrupters(afci)or are you allowed to put them on one dedicated breaker/feed and call it a day.

Barring local codes you will find your answer in 210.12 and the definitions of Outlet and Utilization Equipment in article 100

Roger

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
guyaneesebrotha said:
I would suggest when starting a new question in an existing topic that you start it in a new topic.
However, all dwelling unit bedroom 120V branch circuit outlets must be protected by a combination AFCI.
Look at the art 100 definition of outlet, that will answer your question.
For some reason, many electricians feel the NM wiring to a smoke detector is not subject to damage, and we don't need to protect it with an AFCI.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
stickboy1375 said:
Not me, Connecticut has a state amendment... ;)

You just gotta show off don't you ? :grin: Why don't you just use a 14 amp circuit breaker on them and your good to go :roll:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
acrwc10 said:
You just gotta show off don't you ? :grin: Why don't you just use a 14 amp circuit breaker on them and your good to go :roll:

Actually there is no reason you could't use a 10 amp breaker.

Roger

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
roger said:
Actually there is no reason you could't use a 10 amp breaker.

Roger

I guess arc faults can only occur on 15 - 20 amp circuits :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.