Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
chris kennedy said:
How is this listed for MC?

Depending on the installation it maybe quicker to just make your own whips for the portion going to attach to the EMT. They could be made on the bench in the correct size and then use the same as the mc would have been.
And I did say "this is the closest I had found" I do think a C-body could be used and meet the inspectors interpretation. But don't get me wrong I have used the combination of emt-rigid-mc connectors and don't have any problem with it. I think there is to much picking the fly poop out of the pepper on this interpretation.

220/221

660907_front200.jpg

:grin:

tkb

Crouse-Hinds makes an EMT fitting with a female thread instead of a male thread. It is called a Space-Saver
I have used them to change over from EMT to RGS and from EMT to flex without using a RGS coupling.
When you use them to change over from EMT to flex you end up with a chase nipple left over from the Space-Saver connector and a locknut from the flex connector. Both useful without any waste.
They are also very good if you have to add a box in a conduit run before you pull the wire. You can slide them over the EMT after you cut it without flexing the pipe down. Also good if you have to nipple between two boxes or panels that cannot be moved.

http://www.crouse-hinds.com/catalog/Pdfs/00272to00273.pdf

Last edited:

quogueelectric

why wouldnt it be legal?

why wouldnt it be legal?

To put a 3/4 conn to 3/4 rigid coupling to 1/2 to 3/4 threaded reducer to mc connector locked with a locknut?

Jim W in Tampa

Your inspector needs invited to this forum.Perhaps he is just being hard on you.We do changeovers with rigid coupling all the time.I would use 1/2 reducer then double barrell mc.Just dont cover it up

M. D.

I think the inspector has the code on his side and many of us have accepted practice on ours ..300.15 violation.. vs everyone does it

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Is the whole MC being sleeved inside the EMT? Or is this a transition between FMC and EMT with conductors being pulled?

If the former, is a clamp even required, or would some sort of bushing on the end of the EMT be sufficient?

-Jon

quogueelectric

I am assuming

I am assuming

The jacket is skinned back about 10 feet. If it is tight getting off a good trick is to spin the jacket at both cut ends so the jacket will expand not tighten and in a few seconds you will be able to pull it right off as long as tension is maintained

220/221

why wouldnt it be legal?
To put a 3/4 conn to 3/4 rigid coupling to 1/2 to 3/4 threaded reducer to mc connector locked with a locknut?

He has TWO MC's, in and out. Maybe the duplex MC connector is the issue?

I adapt with rigid couplings, reducer bushings, whatever, all the time. Any inspector that would have a problem with that part is just being dumb.

220/221

The pictures have been removed, but here is an old thread about this -

I remember that thread. I remember the term "listing" being thrown around.

The pic was a simple hard pipe to flex adapter via a rigid coupling and two connectors.

Dumb

iwire

Staff member
220/221 said:
I remember that thread. I remember the term "listing" being thrown around.

The pic was a simple hard pipe to flex adapter via a rigid coupling and two connectors.

Dumb

Seeing as you are so proud to ignore the code rules I will be proud to be a thorn in your side. :grin:

FWIW I use a rigid coupling to make my own, IMO assuming I use the correct connectors for the wiring methods I have not violated any listings.

M. D.

Like I always say Bob,.. there's more than one way to skin a cat ,.. I prefer a box myself

220/221

Seeing as you are so proud to ignore the code rules I will be proud to be a thorn in your side.

Hey, I'm on your side on this issue.

Whatever happened to ol Joe Tedesco. He kinda disappeared after his brief moderator fiasco at another board.:grin:

iwire

Staff member
M. D. said:
Like I always say Bob,.. there's more than one way to skin a cat ,.. I prefer a box myself

You are right, there are many ways to get it done, I will sometimes use a box.

The advantage to fittings is they do not need supporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.