3/4 emt to mc connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
220/221 said:
Do condulets require support?

Not that I am aware of. Normally they are supported by the raceways, take away one or two of the raceways and it is not really supported as well.

So what I am trying to say is I just don't know if what your suggestion is a violation or not. :confused:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
iwire said:
Not that I am aware of. Normally they are supported by the raceways, take away one or two of the raceways and it is not really supported as well.

So what I am trying to say is I just don't know if what your suggestion is a violation or not. :confused:

314.23(E) Exeption allows this install. Also if using PVC 352.10(H) works.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It sounds to me like this is for some wall packs or something similar?

Why didn't you just run the whips through the wall?

Oh and I think the inspector should not waste his time on such petty calls either.

chris kennedy

Occupation
cowboyjwc said:
It sounds to me like this is for some wall packs or something similar?

Why didn't you just run the whips through the wall?
For wall packs I do. For switches on large commercial jobs I mount a 1900 with X-ring and stub up a 1/2" EMT with 90 at deck level. This allows me to get a wall rough(hang the rock) but gives me flexability with the lighting. Do it all the time with connector, coupling, and connector.

iwire

Staff member
For us often it is fire alarm device stubs in 3/4" EMT.

The rock will be going up before the fire alarm system specifications are finalized.

chris kennedy

Occupation
iwire said:
For us often it is fire alarm device stubs in 3/4" EMT.

The rock will be going up before the fire alarm system specifications are finalized.

Those we just tap an EMT 75 on the end and were done. No change over required.

Jim W in Tampa

iwire said:
You are right, there are many ways to get it done, I will sometimes use a box.

The advantage to fittings is they do not need supporting.

Major saving if this is 1 1/4 inch.

I am now not sure if its legal.Can we fit an emt connector to a rigid coupling ? Can we fit an mc connector to a rigid coupling ? If answer is no to either then we are finished and must use a box.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Jim W in Tampa said:
I am now not sure if its legal.Can we fit an emt connector to a rigid coupling ?
We need to see the listing for a ridgid coupling.(little help please Marc)

Jim, how often have you seen RMC come out of a slab and change to EMT before it hits a gutter or panel?

Jim W in Tampa

chris kennedy said:
We need to see the listing for a ridgid coupling.(little help please Marc)

Jim, how often have you seen RMC come out of a slab and change to EMT before it hits a gutter or panel?

Often but now not sure if its legal.Just did a lot of pvc in slab and changed it to emt with female adapter (pvc).Never had an inspector say anything about changeovers other than i cant conceal them.

Doing something and passing does not make it legal.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Jim W in Tampa said:
Often but now not sure if its legal.Just did a lot of pvc in slab and changed it to emt with female adapter (pvc).Never had an inspector say anything about changeovers other than i cant conceal them.

Can't conceal a PVC female to an EMT connector? Did he quote an Art.?

EBFD6

Jim W in Tampa said:
Never had an inspector say anything about changeovers other than i cant conceal them.

are you saying that concealing a conduit changeover is illegal? We often run PVC underground and then change over to RMC sweep and RMC up pole, changeover gets buried, never had an inspector make so much as a comment

Jim W in Tampa

EBFD6 said:
are you saying that concealing a conduit changeover is illegal? We often run PVC underground and then change over to RMC sweep and RMC up pole, changeover gets buried, never had an inspector make so much as a comment

He would not let me change from emt to mc inside wall.

EBFD6

Jim W in Tampa said:
He would not let me change from emt to mc inside wall.

I don't understand the problem, just a changeover, no splices or anything, I don't see any issues, but thats JMSO :grin:

480sparky

Jim W in Tampa said:

Doing something and passing does not make it legal.

Holy cow.... all those parking lot lights I've done over the years with straight PVC runs using rigid sweeps in the concrete bases.....

Last edited:

POWER_PIG

fooey

fooey

As long as the change-over is accessable, what's the big deal?
sounds like the inspector is being a bit anal. (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.