Cannot figure out how to get wires into this terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BretHeilig

IMG_20110727_214213.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with landing wires on this type of terminal? The orange tabs are spring-loaded, but they don't seem to do anything. It -seems- like they're some kind of backstab-type catch, but I put the wires into the green holes near the polarity symbols, and they fall right back out. There are no set screws that I can find. Device did not come with a manual. If anyone even knows the technical name of this type of terminal, I'm sure I can take it from there. Much appreciated!

Bret

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
View attachment 5627

Does anyone have any experience with landing wires on this type of terminal? The orange tabs are spring-loaded, but they don't seem to do anything. It -seems- like they're some kind of backstab-type catch, but I put the wires into the green holes near the polarity symbols, and they fall right back out. There are no set screws that I can find. Device did not come with a manual. If anyone even knows the technical name of this type of terminal, I'm sure I can take it from there. Much appreciated!

Bret

I think you just push the wires in until you feel it grab, I can't tell from the pic.
It might also be the type that you have to stick a small screwdriver into the other hole that is aligned with the wire hole, release the pressure on the screwdriver and see if the wire holds. Also, if you're not using solid wire, you might have to tin stranded wires to stiffen them up so you can push them in.

Edit: looking at the pic. again, you might have to push the orange part in, insert wire and release. One of these methods should work.

Last edited:

480sparky

I've run across some really screwy European terminals that require a specific size of machinists / jewelers screwdriver. So I just went to the tool store and bought a whole set of 18.

You need to insert the screwdriver into one of the holes to release the mechanism in order to insert the conductor. When the conductor is pushed in, you remove the screwdriver and the mechanism clamps down on the wire.

S'mise

I've run across some really screwy European terminals that require a specific size of machinists / jewelers screwdriver. So I just went to the tool store and bought a whole set of 18.

You need to insert the screwdriver into one of the holes to release the mechanism in order to insert the conductor. When the conductor is pushed in, you remove the screwdriver and the mechanism clamps down on the wire.

Yes, German stuff does that. With Weidmeuller (sp?) terminals you can just stab a small screwdriver in the slot (as a substitute) to open them up

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
To me it looks like a Insulation Displacement Connector (IDC). Do you insert the wires in the hole and then 'push down' on the orange piece, thereby clamping the wire in place?

Status
Not open for further replies.