Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crimp on terminals for stranded wire

crimp on terminals for stranded wire

Is it a code violation to use crimp on terminals to connect stranded wire to a recep or switch ? Thats the best way I know to get a good connection especially with # 10 stranded. I saw the post on different way to get the strand wire to hold on grounding screw, but no one mentioned the crimp on terminals.

we use stake-ons as a rule for switches and receptacles and ground screws. i agree it makes for a fine connecting using stranded wire.

Not a violation ...costly to install, but that's another story
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    ««« CELTIC »»»
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    An error on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.8-)

Arrow

Or you can just buy backwired devices. Not the cheap residential kind but with the screw pressure terminal. They only cost a little more if you are using all stranded wire and they terminate much faster than "sta-kons" or wrapping stranded around a terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlag
    Is it a code violation to use crimp on terminals to connect stranded wire to a recep or switch ? Thats the best way I know to get a good connection especially with # 10 stranded. I saw the post on different way to get the strand wire to hold on grounding screw, but no one mentioned the crimp on terminals.
    I saw this comment on another thread and I will reiterate my opinion, The crimped terminals with a ring or flange is what I use. A properly crimped terminal is highly reliable and easy. It's all I use for stranded.

Thanks for feedback

Glad the crimp ons pass code. I cant seem to find the hook end in a #10 so I get the ring type and cut a slot and spread then compress around screw. The open end fork type dont hold well at all. Yes Im familiar with the compression back wire recep. , and I keep some for special times like when wires are to short to get around side screws easily or when need heavy duty 15 or 20 amp. These are quite expensive in $ 3 range so can get whole pack of crimp ons for that

Quote Originally Posted by jetlag
    Glad the crimp ons pass code. I cant seem to find the hook end in a #10 so I get the ring type and cut a slot and spread then compress around screw. The open end fork type dont hold well at all. Yes Im familiar with the compression back wire recep. , and I keep some for special times like when wires are to short to get around side screws easily or when need heavy duty 15 or 20 amp. These are quite expensive in $ 3 range so can get whole pack of crimp ons for that
    I use the open-end forks that have the ends of the forks bent to provide a good grip. They don't slip off.

Go to http://order.waytekwire.com and type in part number 32720 in the search box to see what I'm talking about.

I thought the code said you had to use crimp-on connectors on stranded wire, but I have been looking and I have not found it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by guschash
    I thought the code said you had to use crimp-on connectors on stranded wire, but I have been looking and I have not found it yet.

You won't find it. Device terminations types are listed by the manufacturer. Typically any device binding screw can terminate up to a solid or stranded #10 AWG conductor.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Crimp on solid ?

Quote Originally Posted by infinity
    You won't find it. Device terminations types are listed by the manufacturer. Typically any device binding screw can terminate up to a solid or stranded #10 AWG conductor.
    Had another electrician to tell me cant use crimp on terminals on solid wire, and I didnt doubt him because they dont hold well at all , can twist terminal around easily after crimping, so I only use crimp on on stranded wire , they hold very well