NEC Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a stupid question, but here goes....I know that HUD started regulating and requiring inspections at the factory on manufactured housing in 1976...If you have a local governing body that says they have adopted the NEC, where do the two of them coordinate? In other words, if a mobile home was manufactured PRIOR to 1976, and has the electrical service disconnected for whatever purpose, and an inspection is required before the power co will reinstate the service, when do you implement ARTICLE 550 of the NEC??

dcspector

Keith,

This is not a stupid question it is a very good question. I would say that is a local AHJ issue. Everywhere I have worked,from Tallahassee to Indiana were all different on their requirements for mobile homes.

bphgravity

Here in Florida, mobile homes are under the regulation of HUD and FDOT. Modular Homes are under the Department of Community Affairs. Manufactuerd, mobile, and modular structures used at public scholls are under the FDOE.

In all cases, only that which is field built/installed is under the scope of the local AHJ. While modular homes are required to be built to the FBC, this inspection is performed at the factory. Only that which is installed and/or connected onsite can be inspected.

We only have one mobile home park in the city limits (thank goodness). We are not even permitted to enter the structure when making inspections. All field MEP installations are inspected, and the structural tie-down is inspected. That is it. Everything on and in the structure is not within our jurisdiction.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
keith, remember that in GA, local AHJ has NO (they WILL argue otherwise because 99.9% of them are uneducated about this process) authority to create their own rules, codes, laws, etc. . .unless they have a state mandate to do so; at this time only about 3 small cities in the entire state have one. all others try to enforce their own codes illegally.

Status
Not open for further replies.